issues with multi-camera video 'disappearing' in premiere and after effects

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually avoid the Multicam feature because I've had issues with it in the past, but the client sent it to me in that format so I opted to continue using the tool. Now, many days of work later, on a very complex edit, I'm discovering that Multicam edits don't import to after-effects without serious issues (they come in as nested compositions without in or out points; ie. no visible video on the master comp and no edits on the nested comps). As a workaround, I went back to premiere to "flatten" the Multicam footage. This action resulted in many clips 'disappearing' (turning black), especially if they had the "crop" effect applied. As a workaround, I'm using Match Frame to place a new copy of each clip above the original, flattening the new clip, then copying over effects from the old clip, then deleting the old clip. This is very tedious, but not insurmountable. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this issue? 

I'll be avoiding the Multicam feature, again, going forward. 

TOPICS
Editing, Effects and Titles, Error or problem, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: I really like the multicam feature. I wouldn't bring anything to AE with that however. I'd flatten first and do everything I needed in AE, and export out a ProRes file. It sounds like you might have selected the whole sequence an used 'flatten' on that. I've never done it that way, I'd only flatten what I need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
kilyuwik AUTHOR
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MyerPj. Thanks for the response and insight. After a bit more work it has become clear that I was dealing with two bugs. First, as you advised, Multicam clips from Premiere don't function properly in AE. Second, the "crop" effect in Premiere doesn't function properly if sent with a clip to AE. My project involved an immense amount of split-screens so I relied heavily on the "crop" effect in Premiere. My hope was to take the entire edit into AE to finesse the split-screen transitions. Even with footage flattened, the crop effect caused an error on import to AE. The only workaround was to remove the crop effect and recreate split screens and transitions in AE.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
MyerPj LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, anything that I can do in AE I do, because I like the way it works better. So, if I'm doing something I think needs AE finesse I would plan on taking that to AE for as much as I could do. For sure I don't bring effects from PP to AE. Sometimes in PP if I have a clip I've Warped or Time remapped I might export a ProRes for AE from PP. So, it's good that we learn new things. Hopefully chock it up to that. Thanks for the info! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines