• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

It's time to fix the Rate Stretch tool.

Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a bug / design flaw for too long now, let's get it sorted.

Reproduce problem:

1. Hit R to activate Rate Stretch tool
  2. Drag the end of a clip to stretch it
  3. Realise it hasn't actually done anything
  4. Try again, making sure the cursor is showing it's ready, on the out point of a clip (no diagonal red line on the cursor)
  5. Drag again
  6. See nothing happens.
  7. Zoom in loads and try again
  8. Keep it held down while timeline slowly scrolls to the right because you're stupidly zoomed in and the place you want to stretch to is waaaay off screen now
  9. Keep waiting. Take a look out the window and have a brief existential crisis
  10. Zoom back out and cancel your Adobe subscription
    if you use Rate Stretch all the time like me..

Here's someone over a year ago raising this issue.

This is an easy fix, let's get on it. Thanks.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a pretty simple workaround.  match frame your clip in the timeline so it loads in the source monitor and mark an in and out in timeline and when you edit the clip into the timeline it asks if you want to  "change clip speed - fit to fill" or ignore one of the ins or outs.   

And this is not where you report bugs.   We're mostly users here with an occasional visits from adobe employees;.

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you send a screen grap as to how this fix works exactly? Thanks. How many extra key strokes are we talking about here? We have to perform this hundreds of times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not going to lie one bit it really makes me sad that its been 2 years since you posted this and nothing has been done about fixing the Rate Strech Tool.  I wonder how many hours I have wasted and how many times I have had to hit the plus minus keys over the past 3 years just to get the time strech tool to grab the clip.    Perhaps its because you really did not state what the problem is.   Allow me to claify in hopes that this can get fixed.

Currently the Rate Stretch tool will only grab shorter clips if you zoom way in on the timeline.  It would make my life sooo much better if you could just grab the edge of the clip and pull it out no matter at what zoom level you are on the timeline.  Adobe I will be literally your best freind and biggest supporter if you fix this! 

Also while I am here few other suggestions-

1)  Can we get non disctructive workflow going for nested clips.  Just make it so those nested clips always use the OG resolution of said clip that is nested...So if you nest a 6k clip in a 4k timeline and zoom in on that nested clip it wont treat the clip res like its 4k but will still use the full potental of the OG 6k clip. 

2)  Make an option to have auto nest on when adding warp stablaizer to speed remapped clips.  I get that you can do it unless you nest, just make an option to auto nest the clip when adding warp S to a time remapped clip.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For option 2 you could perhaps code it so the clip kinda fake nests itself in order to get warp stablizer simply working on time remapped clips without haveing to generate and extra nested clip to clutter things up?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines