Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jagged edges for new Essential Graphics Titler

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm running Premiere Pro 11.1.0 (222 Build).

I find that the Essential Graphics Titler is producing titles with more jagged edges as compared to the Legacy Titler. Same issue over a few machines. Is there a fix for this? See the screengrab attached.

(Above text is legacy, below is the new essential graphics.)

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 19.37.23.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is something that worked for me:

I checked the sequence settings of a timeline where the text from the new text tool had jaggy edges and noticed that the Editing Mode was set to "AVC-Intra 100 1080i". This setting came from the first clip I had dropped on the timeline.

I changed the Editing Mode to "ARRI Cinema" and Fields to "No Fields (Progressive Scan)" and all the text edges instantly looked just as good as the legacy title tool.

And yes, this applies to what I see in the Program window as well as the exported file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, thoug narrowed down to one special behaviour:

Whenever I unlock the scaling factor I get bitmappy like jagged edges. When I turn on scaling lock, everything is fine, as expected from TTF font. I need it regularly to adjust asymmetric width of fonts (compress, stretch,...)

This is the Screenshot of an exported JPG with capture function

other font.jpg

And here a Screenshot directly from the program showing the converned buttonjagged edges Font.jpg

I have to admit, sometimes get blurry fonts because of interesting Windows font smoothing behaviour on certain programs...

I am on Win 10 1703 on Premiere Pro 2017.1.2

Thank you,

Birgit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I thought maybe you were really onto a solution here, but unfortunately this didn't help my situation, still same old jaggedy graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still occurring in newest release of Premiere.  12.0.0 (Build 224)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the helpful tip. Exporting with Fields could certainly explain some unexpected results for rendered frames. Other export settings could also be at play. Also, keep in mind that if your monitor is not set to show "High Quality" then we intentionally show no anti-aliasing during playback for performance reasons. So there could certainly still be a bug looming, but at this point there is no umbrella cause for any such problems.

For anyone still seeing what looks like 'jagged' graphics' we will need: Simple but CONCISE steps, a graphics-only test project (or else include the media if it is really essential to see your result) and some sort of screenshot or screencast of your result. Thank you all in advance for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just wanted to clarify that I am referring to the Fields setting in "Sequence Settings," rather than fields for exporting/encoder. Having "Fields" set to anything but "None (progressive)" in sequence settings is causing jaggedness/aliasing in both the program monitor and in rendered final product.

This is still the case when "high quality playback" is turned on in the program monitor.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do the hassle of going through these steps again, but for the most part none of these fixes have worked and the problem remains.  Titles created in the now "legacy title" always work fine, same fonts, same setup, but when created in essential graphics are randomly jagged.  Still mostly tied to having drop shadows.  Drop shadow in essential graphics seems to be where the problem lies, if i don't use drop shadows I don't have a problem.

Fonts i'm using are Alpist and Eurostyle

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 9.25.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your sequence settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Arri cinema fix and it didn't work for me.  In fact I tried several other sequence types and the text rendered jagged in all other ones as well.  Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 9.28.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One added item, I ran a validation on one of the fonts giving me an issue and this is what I got below.  Keep in mind that this exact font has no issue on legacy titles, only on essential graphics.  Still could be a font issue.  I'll try to attach the font file here as well if it will let me.  Here's a link to the font. https://profont.net/fonts/alpist-font-download.html

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 12.18.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bammercole:

Try this real quick:  Adjust your X and Y coordinates so that the values are whole numbers.  So, change 572.9 to 573 and 232.9 to 233.

I'm not 100% sure it'll help, but it might.

(I do all my text work in After Effects and Photoshop.)

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help Warren, unfortunately same results as before.  The only way to solve my problem right now is to remove the drop shadow effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried doing an old school drop shadow?  Duplicate your type layer, layer it behind the original, set the fill color to black, adjust opacity as needed, apply Gaussian Blur if you want to soften it, and then offset its XY coordinates just a bit.

It's not ideal, but a possible work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the way you think, but there is a drop shadow effect (Effect panel > Video Effects > Perspective > Drop Shadow) which is still not ideal but probably better than having to teal with multiple text layers as a single object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's funny. This was a solution for Flash back in the day. When using "pixel fonts" everything needed to be aligned by whole numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bammercole  wrote

I will do the hassle of going through these steps again, but for the most part none of these fixes have worked and the problem remains.  Titles created in the now "legacy title" always work fine, same fonts, same setup, but when created in essential graphics are randomly jagged.  Still mostly tied to having drop shadows.  Drop shadow in essential graphics seems to be where the problem lies, if i don't use drop shadows I don't have a problem.

Fonts i'm using are Alpist and Eurostyle

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I understand how frustrating it can be when something seems unusable. You included no steps up there though ^^^. Simple steps are like a recipe for me to follow closely, like this:

1. Create a New Project + Sequence -- I used PrPro 2018.0 x 224, on an iMac running PrPro 10.11.6 and my GPU is: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

2. Create a simple line of text, like “Text with no jagged”

3. Change the Font to Eurostyle

4. In the EGP, check on the drop shadow and change the blur to 35.

5. Park the playhead over the text, and look closely at the edges. Also try changing the zoom level up to 100%.

OR, since the forums (annoyingly) will not let you attach a prproj or zip file, it would be even better to send a direct message with a very simple project file attached. By very simple I mean - one sequence, one Graphic, one text layer, with a few simple param changes to show the problem on another system.

Result: See: H224_TextShadowSimple

When drop shadow is on, I see no jagged edges.

H224_TextShadowSimple.png

See how those steps are easy to follow and also include details that I might need to know, like the GPU device being used. And I was careful not to omit seemingly obvious steps like making a new project + sequence (as opposed to working form old, existing ones). Also, note that the screenshot shows the EGP settings I used as well as the text in the PM and other details. So that you can see, in my case, that there is no problem at all.

If you can provide me with some things like that and if I can make the problem happen on one of my many local systems, then there may be bug that I can log and probably get fixed for you. Otherwise, it’s kind of like sending an email to your mechanic and saying ‘my car is running poorly’ with the hope that he can just quickly tell you how to make it run well again. It’s possible, it’s just highly unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sending this, I know i haven't sent my example yet, just haven't had time to fully put it together.  Another piece of the puzzle may be that i'm experiencing this on projects that have come from previous versions of premiere as updates have come.  Initial testing with setting up a new project seems to reveal the problem isn't there.  Exact same everything, just a new project file fixes it??? Could this be possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bammercole  wrote

Thanks for sending this, I know i haven't sent my example yet, just haven't had time to fully put it together.  Another piece of the puzzle may be that i'm experiencing this on projects that have come from previous versions of premiere as updates have come.  Initial testing with setting up a new project seems to reveal the problem isn't there.  Exact same everything, just a new project file fixes it??? Could this be possible?

It certainly could be possible. If I can get one of those previous projects (preferably sans media) and experience a similar reault that would make it seem not only possible but likely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turn off Mercury Playback (OpenCL) and set to software only, it renders fine.  Here are my machine specs.

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 10.58.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that this works for me too.

My workflow:

• Created a scrolling credits sequence in an older version of Premiere (before Essential Graphics replaced the titler tool)
  • Save Premiere project
  • Open AME
  • In AME > Preferences > General > Video Rendering, select "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only"
  • Render scrolling credits sequence to TIFF & EXR

Selecting "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration" in AME renders text a little too crisply with jagged edges. I'm then bringing this credit sequence into Resolve and creating an HDR master, where the crispy jagged edges are horribly exacerbated. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until after the HDR grade was complete.

To the engineers at Adobe, if this is still a bug, please reach out to me. I'd be happy to help walk through the issue. I assume that GPU Acceleration should render text and titles the same way that software rendering does, only faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely getting better results when I select "Software Only"

File > Project Settings > General > "Renderer: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for someone at Adobe to at least tell us that this issue is being looked into?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the reason we hear complete silence is because this is a user by user unique problem. I spent the better part of two days fumbling around forms, on hold with Adobe Support (Side note: I was never able to talk with them because I was never able to outlast the hold I was on of at least 30 minutes) and finally just spoke directly with the lead designer in my company to which they basically said:

Build all text in Adobe Illustrator saving .ai files to be used in Premiere. For the problem I was facing this was the only solution I was able to find. Sequence settings, updating drivers, working with proxie footage, and all the other possible solves did not work for me. I'm pretty sure I tried everything I found in all the various forms. Building my text and working with .ai files is the only way I was able to produce smooth lines on my text graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We always do what we can to look into problems that users are encountering. In this case, I have not been able to repro the problem using my projects or projects I got from users, so there's not much else for me to say right now. Do you have your high quality render setting turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines