Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jagged / Pixelated Text in Premiere Pro 14.1.0

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

Please bear with me as this will be a very long post. I have troubleshooted this issue myself in very many ways and want to provide as much background information as possible. 

Problem: Text within my Premiere Pro projects as well as in my exports appears with pixelated / jagged edges. This happens with text created using multiple formats: (Illustrator generated PNGs, AI files, Photoshop generated PNGs, Photoshop files, PNGs linked in the Library from within Illustrator, Legacy Title from Premiere, MOV files of the text generated from After Effects).

Title Pixelation within Premiere_2.png

Title Pixelation upon export - Quicktime SettingsTitle Pixelation upon export - Quicktime Settings

Sequence Settings and Export Settings in images below. I export with two different settings (one for upload online using H264 and the other as a Quicktime MOV) and I have experienced the issue with the text with both settings. 

Sequence SettingsSequence Settings

Quicktime Export SettingsQuicktime Export SettingsH264 Export Settings 1 of 2H264 Export Settings 1 of 2H264 Export Settings 2 of 2H264 Export Settings 2 of 2

Background / Troubleshooting: My workflow is I export a PNG with the same dimensions as my sequence from Illustrator, then import that PNG into Premiere where it doensn't have to be resized, then I apply a simple opacity change + gaussian blur to the PNG using keyframes in Premiere. I've noticed that although the exported PNGs are crisp, upon import they become jagged around the edges (especially on rounded letters). This is most noticeable when the text is white, and I switch between black and white as the text colour depending on the video. 

The font I use is Chronicle Display, Light and Chronicle Display, Light Italic. I have also tried other serif fonts like Georgia and this issue still exists so I don't believe it to be a font issue. 

I have tried to create the titles in many different ways but they all seem to produce the same jagged result:

• Exporting higher resolution PNGs (to fit a 4k sequence) from Illustrator and scaling down within Premiere
  • Exporting PNGs from Photoshop
  • Using the actual Photoshop and Illustrator files directly in Premiere
  • Using Legacy Title to create the title within Premiere
  • Using After Effects to create an MOV with the animation already applied and bringing that video into the timeline in Premiere

Is this an issue anyone else has had? What is it that I'm missing? My sequence settings match my export settings and Premiere doesn't seem to care what kind of file I'm bringing in (or even using it's native Legacy Titles) in how it displays this text. I haven't had this problem with all text or graphics in the past - I often have better luck with sans-serif fonts and logos. 

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated, thank you! 

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embed.jpg

...so we dont have to download unknown files: we help you, you help us. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that - updated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot showing looks fine to me.

Might want to consider a Sans Serif font and a bit bold. Font is rather skinny and has serif.

Text in video will never look as crisp as in Ps or Ai. Different concept.

Turn off max render if you have a dedicted gpu and comp in linear color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font was provided by the company I do the work for so I could suggest that, but the end slate uses the same for for their logo so I'm not sure if that's up for discussion. 

I understand that Premiere is pixel based and varies from programs optimized for graphics - but because this issue isn't consistent across all fonts in Premiere I'm hoping there is a solution that can improve the quality without changing the font used. 

"Turn off max render if you have a dedicted gpu and comp in linear color." Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean for previewing the comp within Premiere? I usually have it set at 1/2 but set it to full for the screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bad fonts vs good fonts

Foute fonts.jpgGoede fonts copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines