• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jog Forward One Second

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TLDR: Is there a way to jog forward on the timeline 1 second (not frames, for god sake not frames)?

I've been working on a project for roughly six years now, filming a few seconds a day and cutting these down to one, sort of a life journal.  Yes, i know, 'cool project for a high schooler', but I enjoy doing it and it feels rewarding for me.  

So the workflow is essentially, I pull in gopro, dslr, iphone clips and manual cut one second from a clip by finding my location I like, cutting, going to sequenece time and entering 1 second ontop of the existin time point, then cutting again, deleting both sides of the outer clip.  This was okay when I would work on the project once a month, but at this point I'm doing it once a year and the work flow is maddening.  

I'm looking for any way to jog forward on my timeline by 1 second, with the difference in frames per project the +1 or +5 frames does not cut it.  

Any suggestions?  Any Macro apps that folks like/trust?

adobeCapture.PNG

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

I press +100 followed by Enter on the Numeric keypad on my keyboard move forward one second. 

I think +1,0 will do the trick as well, but i prefer +100 since its faster for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I press +100 followed by Enter on the Numeric keypad on my keyboard move forward one second. 

I think +1,0 will do the trick as well, but i prefer +100 since its faster for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may work! I just tried it (and also now realize it matters which 'enter' i select)  and it def could do it for me.  I'll see if it works flow wise, thanks @averdahl!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just make sure NOTHING is selected in the timeline otherwise that selection will move down 1 second.  If you're zoomed in on the timeline, you may not see the selection...  I almost always hit deselect all before doing this kind of thing.  I've got it mapped to command-d cause it's easier for me to remember....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preference > Playback. Then change "Step forward/back many:" setting to the number of frames you want to jog forward. So if you are working on a 24fps timeline enter 24 for one second. Click OK and now use the keyboard shortcut Shift+Right Arrow to step forward 24 frames. You can also use Shift+Left Arrow to move backward 24 frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who doesn't use a 10 key, this is gold. I set mine up for 120 frames (5 seconds at 24 fps) and it works like a charm! Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be a good addition to add the Frames/Seconds drop down (like from the Timeline preferences) to the Playback options. 

2020-12-19_13-58-41.png

Here's the info if anyone so inclined.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro
User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that preference trick is great although since I work in both 24p and 30p will not be that useful for me.  Also, gotta say that it would be nice if this was something you could assign to a keyboard combo with a 1 second unit that would work for whatever the frame rate is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally with you.  I've added a macro app to click shift-right arrow 6 times, changed my timeline to 30fps, this jumps me forward 1 second, but of course only on exactly 30fps timeliens... would love an actual 'time' jog option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you just wrote got me to thinking. So I opened up a Keyboard Maestro which is an app for creating macros that I use in MacOS and I was able to make two separate shortcuts. One for advancing 1 second in a 29.97 timeline and another for advancing 1 second in a 23.976 timeline. Then I just use whichever shortcut I need depending on what frame rate my timeline is in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I'm probably gonna go forward with this workflow.  But would really would love to have a simple 'job X seconds' option regardless of framerate.  Seems like a straight forward thought, surprised there isnt an in app answer.

But I'll probably do the same and create a few macros for different framerates

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just and FYI: Adobe enhanced the timecode input method a little bit, so you press +1. to move 1 second forward. Saves a keystroke. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines