• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just want to author a dvd in Premiere Pro CC 2018 without encore.. can I?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all: Silly me. I took an advanced used on their word that a link from adobes site to download Encore CS would be accurate and allow me to proceed with a tutorial.

Boy was I wrong.

I have a finished project in Premiere. I'm a beginner user but I do have a completed project that just needs to be burned to a DVD to be played. This SHOULD be possible with CURRENT versions of Adobe products. Shouldnt it?

Where can I find a tutorial on how to author a DVD using my current version of Premiere Pro WITHOUT having to follow non existent links to downloads to an old version of Encore?

Tearing my hair out over here in disbelief that I cant find that information.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

yes the setting was moved to preferences | apps sub tab

Screenshot (1258).png

Screenshot (1257).png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to get Encore using a Cloud subscription https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2372985

-an option to check to see more previous https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2426726

-and more on previous versions https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2389056 see reply #3

-and even more on previous versions https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2409527 see reply #1

Somewhat dated now, but still some good information for CS6 (Encore)

PPro/Encore tutorial list http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1448923 has tutorial links to help learn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John for your response. Before I spend even more time tracking down OLD versions of Adobe products (because as I mentioned, I already tried that) I really want to know if in all seriousness Adobe expects its customers to use OLD versions of software to do things when they have a paid subscription to the current versions.

That makes no sense. There must be a way to use current versions of Adobe to author a DVD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want to know if in all seriousness Adobe expects its customers to use OLD versions of software to do things when they have a paid subscription to the current versions.

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good news is that you can, apparently, have new CC version installed on same computer as old cs6 stuff, with encore, and so you can use stuff by switching back and forth. Like, if you want to use speed grade, you can sorta do that , or encore, or older codecs that won't be supported by new CC stuff... so it's probably a good option to put cs6 on machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be fantastic news if it were in fact true. But so far, everything I have tried from Adobe's site to get to that old cs6 stuff results in being told to click on links (such as "all apps" or "find more apps") in creative cloud that do NOT exist AT ALL in  CC 2018.

Creative Cloud 2018 has been around for some time, so I find it disappointing that Adobe's own site fails to take into account the menu available in that version on its own website when it instructs its paying clients on how to access old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol. Yeah, but (see later reply)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro by itself cannot author a disc at all. If you just try to export the video files onto disc, you will get only a data disc that will not play at all on any standalone DVD player. The only way to author a standalone-player-compatible disc would be an authoring program. You may need a third-party program since Adobe is now no longer updating Encore (EOL'd).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I do have Adobe Encoder. That might get me closer... but I think you may have answered my main question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... pretty easy to download the CS6 version ... bring up the CC app, go to the right-end bit of PrPro's blue bar, click ... then "Other versions" ...

Then click the CS6 one ... and it installs.

After installing, if you want you can go into the CC app and uninstall PrPro CS6 just leaving the Encore app. The above part is pretty easy and fast.

The slower part is you need to then follow the following to install all the libraries of menu icons & such ...

Adobe Encore download/installation article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encore-cs6-installed-cc.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encore-cs6-installed-cc.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/download-library-content.html

The reason for all this? Apparently, the company they'd licensed Encore's "authoring" engine from got bought out by another company, who didn't want to mess with "burning" apps, they'd bought that company for something else. And discontinued all licensing. This would have required Adobe to rebuild the app using someone else's code, and the figured the DVD/BluRay market was declining enough it wasn't financially feasible.

So ... there's still this old process. Or, you can go buy an authoring app and use the exports from the DVD and BluRay presets in that authoring app. Some of the folks using this still think it works fine, some have decided that other ones are worth the cost to buy and do their authoring in a different app.

I still use Encore when I need an actual DVD. Although I've not needed one in a few months now. Or ... hmmm ... been a while. From what I can tell, the vast majority of the PrPro user base never authors a disc. So ... in "general" terms, the EOL of Encore and non-updating of it worked. For some of us, it's a bit of a pain.

I'm a ton more bummed they EOL'd SpeedGrade than Encore though ... I grade everything, but only burn on rare occasions anymore.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John's links are probably up to date sorta... or you could just search on google for encore cs6 maybe... I have cs6 and recently loaded that stuff onto a laptop via discs but then upgraded some stuff via internet. So, it's still there somewhere.

So, you can export using CC you have, for BD or DVD, take those files and stick em into encore, and so the most fundamental stuff to just get started... For example, tell the remote control what to do when pressing play, stop, etc... and what to do when you get to the end of the video ( go back to chapter 1 usually ). It's not very intuitive using encore, which is partly why the stopped supporting it. Add to that the fact that there's tons of hardware out there.. and most DVD players built into TV's don't like double layer DVD, or RW DVD's, and it was a tech mess for adobe to support the thing.

I would get it and just rush through a basic DVD ( no fancy chapter markers and all that ) just to see what quality you end up with, etc.  And it's free with your CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, one more thing... don't burn DVD from encore, but export an ISO (image) instead, and use a free program like IMGBURN or something to make the ISO ...it will burn the disc better, and finalize the disc even it it's RW.

Would be fun to find out how you made out...so come back and let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was nice of you to do screen shots, Neil. Now, if you could just do a screenshot of the encore screen where you have to pick basic settings … using auto play when dvd is inserted, automatically start over at beginning when it reaches end, and those other crazy settings it needs... that would be cool !

hehe...

and whatever you do, don't hook up your phone to the DVD player !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and whatever you do, don't hook up your phone to the DVD player !

Um ... no comment ... other than I chuckled for a while ...

Encore is an app from a certain ... era ... age ... Zeitgeist ... something. It took me a while to figure out it's completely obvious organization model ... or maybe ... it was just ...

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present for your consideration...

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call ...

... The Adobe Zone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem with the instructions. Here it clearly shows you are to scroll to a section "FIND NEW APPS" in the "APPS" tab.

There is no "FIND NEW APPS" section in the "APPS" tab that you "scroll down to". Nor is there a "Filters and Versions" drop down menu.

This is whats on Adobe's site right now.

Thanks for posting the screen shot- I found what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is what is at the bottom of the Apps tab!! Argh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the setting was moved to preferences | apps sub tab

Screenshot (1258).png

Screenshot (1257).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow it lost my reply. Thanks to everyone for your help. Will refer to this thread later too and update what I ended up doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the ongoing issues is the "help" and information sites and pages are frequently a bit behind the actual apps.

It's something of a pain point when one volunteers to help and the "printed" material is old and now wrong.

So most of us ACPs do a lot of posting of screenshots.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, when the forum lets us post screenshots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the preferences change info. Mine is not set to show older apps, but still shows older versions of current ones, including PR CS6, even though it is already installed. Any idea how this works? On the road and can only test on the laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes when you already have an app installed it does not matter if 'older apps' option is ticked and yes cs6 will be one of the options in the list

you can install another Pr (in the same lang) then it will override the one you have already by default... there are ways to keep both versions installed if that is what you are trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just trying to understand for users, particularly Encore. Since they'd almost always have PR CC installed, I don't see why they wouldn't see CS6.

But a good option to check for a user having issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC2018 interface does not display older versions of any of the software unless you know where to look for them, and the directions on where to look for them were incorrect on Adobe's site.

Thanks to other people's screenshots I was able to see that yes, next to the app is a pulldown menu where you can select older versions or alternately you can, again thanks to ussnorways screenshot, you can opt to display them using a preferences panel, again, in contrast to the instructions on Adobe's site.

Google searching just led to the same incorrect Adobe instructions or outdated youtube videos showing the older 2017 interface (I guess).

I was never in a position to even think I would need older versions of anything, and, being new to CC entirely, and being very used to buying software one version at a time, it didnt occur to me older versions would even BE available.

I use Cubase music software, available as a download, and you don't get older versions of THAT. I had to buy each of my versions.

So, it would seem another user issue is simply being unfamiliar with the CC model, and never having gotten anything for free from Adobe in that past!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines