• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcut for Duplicate opens Help

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a longtime user of Premiere and I try to keep my keyboard mapped with as many defaults as I can, so if I go work on another system (which I used to do a lot, in the Before Times) I can at least use the Adobe default shortcuts without having to import my own keyboard setting. I haven't updated in a couple of months (I'm on Pr 2020 v.14.5.0) and I don't have any new hardware, but suddenly a couple days ago when I hit the shortcut to duplicate a sequence (command+shift+/) instead the help menu opens up. I double checked my keyboard settings and it says this should be the shortcut for duplicate. This happened to me once before when I worked on another system ( in the B.T.) and the sysadmin and I could never figure out why. Again I'm stumped. Why is my keyboard shortcut suddenly changed? And when I export, I get a dialog box saying "Your video exported successfully"  What's with that? Can I turn that off?

TOPICS
Export , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

I figured it out:  System Preferences > Keyboard >Shortcuts>App Shortcuts>Show Help Menu (uncheck)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you have a Sequence, Clip, or Bin selected in the Project panel the keyboard shortcut should work to create a duplicate. However, let's say you have a clip selected in your Timeline and then use the keyboard shortcut. That will result in the macOS shortcut to launch the Help pulldown menu instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No clip in timeline selected. In fact, no sequence in the timeline! Project window highlighted, sequence selected, hit the shortcut and the help menu opens. I've been duplicating clips & sequences in this manner forever. New result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use command + shift + / to create duplicates as well.  The same issue of getting the Help menu pops-up in After Effects for adding a Composition to the Render Queue if a Comp isn't selected. 

I just did a quick double-check as I only just upgraded to Premiere Pro 14.5 late last night and it still works as expected.  I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7.  

Have you tried going into the Keyboard Short cuts editor and adding a 2nd keyboard shortcut?  Like control + d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and, interestingly, the new shortcut just didn't work at all. Another thing I noticed is that the original keyboard shortcut for duplicate is no longer showing in the Edit pulldown menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If shift + command + / isn't there, that would explain why the macOS Help shortcut was always happening.

You've probably noticed that you can switch back to "Adobe Premiere Pro Default" using the Keyboard  Layout Preset pop-up menu at the top Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box without losing any of your Custom shortcuts.  Give that a try to see if it restores the expected behavior (Edit > Duplicate) with â‡§ + âŒ˜ + /.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's gone there too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now that's odd.

If you set Keyboard Layout Preset to...

• Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6 do you see â‡§ + ⌘ + /?
  • Avid Media Composer 5 do you see âŒ˜ + D?
  • Final Cut Pro 7.0 do you see âŒ¥ + D?

It may be time to reset the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 - no.

Avid - yes

FCP7 - yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. If open, quit Premiere Pro.
  2. Go into your profile folder and move Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs to the desktop.  Move any .kys files in the Mac folder as well.

Here's the file path for Mac:

Users/[user name]/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/[version]/Profile-CreativeCloud-/Mac/

Launch Premiere Pro and see if the Duplicate shortcut is restored for the Adobe Premiere Pro Default.

Also, if you are syncing your settings to your Creative Cloud account, it's probably worth disabling that while you troubleshoot this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your attention to this matter, Warren.

I did as you said and the shortcut is NOT there when I resume in the default setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured it out:  System Preferences > Keyboard >Shortcuts>App Shortcuts>Show Help Menu (uncheck)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines