keyboard shortcut inconsistencies between Premiere Pro and After Effects

Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm learning the keyboard shortcuts in Premiere Pro and After Effects at the same time, and it boggles my mind that Adobe would make nearly everything incompatible between these two programs. I'm sure you all know exactly what I'm talking about. One of them is the shortcut to zoom to view the entire timeline. There are many other inconsistencies like that.

I'm considering making a changes to the shortcuts in these programs to bring them more into alignment with each other, and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if there's an commonly used standard in the industry to compensate for this workflow killer.

Or do you all just learn both systems, or just not use the shortcuts?

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

keyboard shortcut inconsistencies between Premiere Pro and After Effects

Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm learning the keyboard shortcuts in Premiere Pro and After Effects at the same time, and it boggles my mind that Adobe would make nearly everything incompatible between these two programs. I'm sure you all know exactly what I'm talking about. One of them is the shortcut to zoom to view the entire timeline. There are many other inconsistencies like that.

I'm considering making a changes to the shortcuts in these programs to bring them more into alignment with each other, and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if there's an commonly used standard in the industry to compensate for this workflow killer.

Or do you all just learn both systems, or just not use the shortcuts?

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 20, 2020 1
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In real-world use, a ton of hefty-duty Ae people hardly every touch Pr ... they're fx folk.

And many editors do everything they can to avoid Ae ... they're editors for cryin' out loud ... (yea.)

So there are these two massive user-bases that work with apps that each have a long history, and were not always so compatible with each other. The Ae team is based out of Seattle. The Pr team is based out of San Jose, so they don't for the main part work in the same US state even.

So ... yea, it's confusing to those of us who work between them. And very typical for those who do, to work their keyboard shortcuts to get stuff done.

Modify away. Save & backup your custom x.kys file ... and get the work out the door.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 2
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ... btw ... you didn't even mention Audition, which hath a third, competely different keyboard shorts setup ... 😉

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 1
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess learning the two systems is the way to go since I'm not sure if I'll end up in one of those camps or the other. I come from an audio production and graphic design background, so yeah, Audition and a lot of the other Adobe apps as well.

For the most part, keyboard shortcuts in these applications do different things, but there are many places where functions overlap with different keystrokes so it would be welcome to see the shortcuts align. Maybe I'll work on a table for Adobe app common functions and see if I can muster up some industry adoption. Ha!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alek,

Thank you so much for the post. First: Sorry, mate. I feel your frustration. I'd let the team know how you feel by filing a bug in User Voice. More info on that here. Others coming before you have also noticed this. 

As one who has been a pro editor before Adobe, I "made it a game" to never touch the mouse with each NLE I got to work with, editing only with keyboard shortcuts. Not easy, but that's definitely the way to edit. Like anything, after practicing for awhile you can really fly! You'd be surprised how many keyboard shortcuts the human brain can remember too. Repetition and reinforcement can help.

Some prefer to "map" the same shortcuts to each editing system, I was taught to learn all the native ones in each application first, then customize on the blanks under the modifier keys. You become a more flexible editor, in my opinion, with that approach.

After your master keyboard is maxed out, you can have the best of both worlds if you create multiple custom keyboard sets. So, that's what I do these days after modifyer keys dry up. I see it as a bit crazy to write over any native keyboard shortcuts. Some create special keyboards for special functions. Audio Keyboards, Effects Keyboards, Rough Cutting Keyboards, etc. and in these keyboard sets, you can be a little more free with doing away with shortcuts with functions that make no sense in that set.

In the 90s, I learned After Effects at the same time I learned Media Composer, and they felt like very different applications. I saw the use of learning the fastest way possible to manipulate video effects in AE: shortcuts. So I got to know that shortcuts are very important early on. Unlike the person that Neil described, I was one of those editors schooled in using an NLE, Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator in an integrated workflow to make wonderfully creative material. In the 90s, this was very cutting edge stuff.

I got quite good at After Effects, taught AE for awhile, and even worked on 2 famous animated features. I was not that great an animator, but I was very quick with the After Effects UI. Being fast is what made them ask me back for that second feature. Come to think of it, there wasn't even an option to change keyboard shortcuts for years. It's pretty recent, actually. You had to learn them if you were serious.

BITD, knowing all shortcuts from different systems made you a more marketable editor from a producer's POV. You culd sit down at any edit bay and just get going, and that was the cool thing to do. 

Today, that's not so important because we don't travel to post houses much anymore; as long as the work gets done. The concept of knowing the stock shortcuts and then having different sets of keyboards for different editing tasks is still very important, and is definitely the way to go. 

In the meantime, yes, we'll have to suffer knowing different shortcuts for our favorite applications. Be sure, again, to drop a note to User Voice.

Feel free to ask questions too.

Take Care,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to say this: After Effects was developed by a separate company from Adobe called COSA. Premiere Pro was coded inhouse. After Effects was then purchased by Adobe via Aldus.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Alek_V LATEST
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think having a set of "unifying" keyboard shortcut files that we can load into each app would be a worthy project. I just didn't want to do it differently if it's already been done.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0