Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyframes won't work

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am currently working on a project and I tried to use keyframes, which won't work. This is the first time using Premiere Pro CC 2018, I never had the problem on the CC 2017 version. But now to my problem: When I create two keyframes, for example getting the opacity from 100 to 0, in the effects panel the opacity changes over time like it is supposed to, but not in the video. Even when rendering the video the effect doesn't happen... It always takes the first keyframe value and then applys it to the video, but no further changes are made by the second keyframe.

I hope I made myself clear...

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

When Premiere is acting weird best is to trash preferences:

hold down shift+alt while opening Premiere (this shortcut will also reset plugin cache).

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're an amazing human thank you so much for this I was ripping my hair out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got me on the right track! It's now 2022, and I believe more things have changed. I was having this exact issue today, and low and behold, in the effects panel there was a separate motion setting area just for the text. So even though I had the correct track selected, it still wasn't working. I happened to scroll through the effects panel and see a separate header for "Text: my text" and under that one there was a second motion keyframes apanel that worked. 

I think every update changes a few things, and there must have just been one. So for reference, there was an update in the last month, and it is October 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

double posted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying to help! Unfortunately this problem is a little more frustrating than just visualizing the keyframes.

The keyframes are showing up, both in the effect control panel, as well as the timeline.

The problem is that the program is refusing to show the animation that you specify (from one keyframe to the next).

I've encountered this problem with almost every edit in the last four months. For most cases, I've found that a simple nest or new sequence will let you continue editing, but this isn't an option if you need to change the positioning or scaling of the clip you're working with.

It's also annoying for workflow when you have to nest everything in order to continue editing.

I just built a new editing PC last summer that ran Premiere animations just fine up until November.

I also encounter the same problems on different PCs that I use for work (even more powerful than mine).

I hope they can figure this out, as it seems a lot of people are having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The craziest thing is, that this problem is still here.
I just started editing a few months ago and ran into this issue yesterday just to realize there are discussions about this from over 5 years ago...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although this post was dated almost three years prior, the fix worked for me!  Spent two hours trying to keyframe a picture and was getting SOOO frustrated.  Found this community and Voila.  Now, hope it stays fixed.  That would be Premiere Pro 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going crazy too, and then I realized the problem went away when I shut off the paintbox effect I had on to create a border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just deleted all my projects. I saved my project before doing this and I'm very disappointed it was my very first project I worked on for 7+ hours just gone. Anyway I can get it back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was literally ready to cry, break my machine and then cry A LOT MORE!  For some reason, this worked--but this is not what I normally do for keyframes.  THANK YOU ALL!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution that worked for me was "nesting the clip"...that works fine now

Try it! Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so nesting the clip worked for me but was a terrible solution for what I had been working on. Putting the keyframes on the nested sequence was a pain in the a** because of the croping it makes. 

I found a different solution. Turns out this issue happened because I had a retime on that clip (I dind't notice this before because I didn't have a retime, but a reverse time effect). So, the easiest thing to do would be to delete te retime, put the keyframes, nest the clip and then do the retime on the nested sequence.

Voila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to find the solution to this same issue and nothing here has worked but I did a fix.  The opacity change using keyframes stops working when I have another "Effect" added to the clip.  I have a "Levels" effect added to the clip that's not working. If I remove the Levels effect, the opacity keyframes work. When I add it back again, the the opacity change stops working again.  Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried some methods that were told here and they didn't help me, but I found my way. The rendering of a given area helped me.
1. Put the keyframes you need.
2. Select the moment where the keyframes do not work and use the "I" and "O" to set the entry and exit points.
3. Go to Sequence -> Render Selection
After that the change can be seen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one thing you can try and do is nest it. It worked for me and saved me a mental break down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines