Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keylight 1.2 in Premiere pro vs After effects

Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am going to be using keylight for some chroma key work I will be doing shortly, we had a trial of After affects and used it there and were pleased with the results. But what I am doing is basically just video editing with chroma key, there's some picture in picture work, and some color correction but that's basically all. I would like not to have to switch between two programs for my editing and it will take more time. Is the keylight plugin in Premiere as good as it is in After effects or is it more refined?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ultra Key is optimized for dealing with footage with heavy compression, and it's designed to be simple to use (at the loss of some fine control). Keylight is designed for more detailed green screen work in Ae, which is the industry standard for VFX work - and for good reason.

What you're attempting to achieve (green screen work) essentially is doing VFX work. You may get lucky in trying out keying (Ultrakey, not Keylight) in PPro, but Ae just is your better choice for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Keylight not also in PPro? I have not used ultra key and it looked like Keylight was also in PPro on some tutorials I watched. Tried some test shots in Keylight in AE and was pleased. Hoped I could simplify the workflow by using just PPro and Keylight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is pretty much covered by Branded ... there are a lot of people who do green/blue screen work in Premiere, but ... it's nowhere near as fine a control as you get in Ae.

You can build mulitple keys of course to improve the overall end quality ... but by then, you've taken as much time or more as it would take to simply go to Ae and run it off there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks Neal,

That fine level of control, is that achieved using other tools then Keylight? I noticed that there were more tools for keying in Ae, but I got the desired effect using just Keylight. (We have about 24-48 hours for turn around between filming and release in our periodical. I am a one-man-band doing rough cuts, color grading, and VFX so not much time.) If I was satisfied with just Keylight will that work as well in Premiere or does Keylight not work with such fine controls in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that plugin ... if it works, as tested in your setup, go for it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for getting back with me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines