Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laggy or unresponsive playback on mixed format timeline

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

I'm working on a short edit composed of screen-recorded Zoom calls (isn't everyone right now? 😁) and I'm getting very poor performance and strange playback behavior from Premiere Pro. Given the nature of the video, the source files are mixed framerates, resolutions, audio sample rates, etc

I was sent an assembly edit by a producer who didn't mention having any problems with the footage at his end. He would have been on an Apple laptop but other than that I don't know anything about his system.

• Playback is laggy, choppy and often freezes, even on 1/4 playback resolution
  • Long lag between hitting play and seeing playback in the program monitor. Audio often starts playing before picture.
  • When video freezes, audio continues playing. I'll hit pause at that point, and playback will continue for up to five or six seconds, no matter what other playback controls I press.
  • Despite the above, the actual timeline is smooth/responsive - no choppiness/lag in the movement of the playhead.

COMPUTER INFO

• Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Installed memory: 32GB
  • Motherboard: MSI X299 SLI PLUS ATX LGA2066 Motherboard
  • Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card

HARD DRIVE INFO Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

PROJECT INFO

• Premiere Version: 14.3.1 (updated 5th August)
  • Footage: m.264 mp4 screen recordings, various resolutions from 352x640 to 1920x1080 (nothing higher than that), framerates range from 8 to 60fps, mixed audio sample rates (but the same issue affects all files during playback)
  • TRT of timeline: 8mins
  • Current project file size: 330kb
  • Sequence Settings: 25fps, square pixels, progressive, audio at 48kHz, ProRes 422 preview format at 1080.

FAILED FIX ATTEMPTS

• Created proxies using the 'ProRes Low Resolution Proxy' preset
  • Updated Premiere to latest version
  • Toggled GPU Mercury playback/CPU
  • Switched RAM from Performance to Memory
  • Cleared cache
  • Reduced RAM reserved for other applications to 3GB
  • Rebooted, ran Premiere with no other apps open
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?