• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laggy performance with Black Magic UltraStudioMini and Premiere

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I can't seem to figure out if there's some sort of setting I should be adjusting, or if it's just a failing in Premiere... but when I "transmit" playback to my reference monitor (via Thunderbolt to my BlackMagicUltraStudioMiniMonitor>SDI > FSI DM240 monitor) my playback responsiveness is slow in Premiere. I'm not talking about audio sync/offset. I'm talking about when I hit the space bar to play/pause it takes longer to respond. I don't have this problem when doing the same in Resolve or Avid... and the problem goes away if I un-check "transmit" playback and just use my computer monitor to edit. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance!
SYSTEM SPECS:
•MacBookPro 16" 2019 64GB RAM AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB/Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
•Premiere CC 2019 (13.1.5)
•Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup V 11.6

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrPrefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Output: screen recording?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ann.  "Uutput screen recording" is basically an "aggregate audio device" which enables be to caputre system audio when screen recording as well as my USB mic using the Audio MIDI setup utility on the mac, as well as an app called iShowU Audio Capture. (Screen recordings via Quicktime fail to record audio without doing this, even if you have it set to record system audio).

For the record, it doesn't have any affect on my playback responsiveness (as I've tested with this both on and off)... and since the problem existed before I created this setup.  I'd always had it set to "external headphones" and the problem existed then, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dmehalik,

Sorry. I think Ann may be on to something. Can you try a test without any audio hardware connected. We have an issue with control surfaces and this situation may be an offshoot of that problem. Just a hunch. Try it and get back to us.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin.  Thanks for the response.  Will do, but could you please clarify what you mean by "without any audio hardware connected"?  I did a test where I set output to my MBP speakers and this did not help.  You mentioned "Control Surfaces" though???  I do have a TangentWave connected but that should have nothing to do with Audio Hardware, I imagine?internalSpeakers.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would not hurt to select the Ultra Studio Mini for audio output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Andy.  Thanks for the response... but this doesn't help either.  Same latency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would install a different BMD driver. BMD drivers can be a pain in the buttocks. One driver made the JK and L key unusable on my system. BMD confirmed it was a bug on their end. Who would have thought that could happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, I've experienced this problem consistently over multiple BMD driver releases... and I don't experience the problem if I open Avid or DaVinci Resolve, so I'm pretty sure the problem exists within Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a potential bug with Control Surfaces, yes. Can you check without that device connected. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin.  I tried with my control surface (Tangent Wave) completely disconnected from my system.  This did not help... and I know that I'm not the only one having this issue.  There is a UserVoice thread about it here:  https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/39438052-io-hardware-causes...

I suspect that this is true for many, if not all users, but people don't know about UserVoice or don't bother with it.  It is so incredibly frustrating.  It's impossible to edit with any sense of rhythm (a huge part of editing), music in particular, when there's a delay after hitting pause.  I'm forced to either not use my external monitor (which is not a great compromise for "pro" software), or sorta guess and trim and playback repeatedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure why you posted a screen shot that has nothing to do with the settings that need to be setup correctly for good realtime playback performance. The video below may or may not be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU&feature=emb_logo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Andy, I guess I had given screengrabs that related to my I/O device... which seems to be the problem since when I don't have "mercury transmit" enabled, everything runs snappily.   Premiere does not lag unless I'm monitoring with my external reference monitor.   I feel that the rest of my settings should be optimized for my system, as far as I understand.Prefs2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here. Whenever Mercury Transmit is enabled and a reference monitor is connected with Blackmagic or AJA device the issue occurs.

Already have contact with support and it's a known bug.

Problem is that it didn't get fixed, even in beta release 15.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines