• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laptop about to die, but been editing off of external harddrive..

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my asus is about to die and wont do the work I need it to, I have a video for a huge client in premiere and have been working off a samsung t5 externally, the raw files and projects are saved to that. If I use that samsung ssd on a new computer can I just jump back into editing? 

I did look at the transcode and consolidate options etc in project manager settings but premiere keeps throwing up an error when I try to export the project as a whole..

Help would be HUGELY appreciated, I'm so stressed ha! 

Thanks 

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've been saving your project and all the content on your T5 then you can work on any computer! 😉

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All your edits are saved in your project file (.prproj). With your project on T5, you can edit on any machine. Any Windows or any Mac.

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marek, I love you 🙌🙌🙌😂😂😂

So relieved!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mke sure the external drive has the same letter on the new computer as it had on the old computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm being naive here Ann, how do I ensure that ? 🙏🙌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can assign a letter to a drive in Disk Management tool in Windows 10:

(right-click Start menu)

MarekMularczyk_0-1615058502353.png

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help 😉

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I keep everything (all my photos/videos/projects) on an external drive. I use Samsung T5 as well  😉    never let me down, highly recommend!  🙂

Keeping everything on an external hard drive (SSD ideally, like T5) makes everthing easier. I can just plug it into any computer and work on any of my projects in Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop  🙂

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

About the Project Manager, you should try the following if you have problems with : 

• Disable "Include Audio Conform Files"
  • Disable "Include Preview Files"
  • Do not use special character in your filenames

With Autokroma we also develop PlumePack : it's a Project Manager plugin. You have the same "Collect & Copy" feature so some projects which don't work with the native Project Manager are working with PlumePack. But the main feature is to trim your footage losslessly (without re-encoding) : it removes the unused frame and you keep the same codec with exact same quality  on your files so you can have a project much lighter : which can be useful on a SSD ! 
More infos : https://www.autokroma.com/PlumePack

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines