Highlighted

laptop with battery + Adobe Premiere at Full Load = laptop shuts down

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I bought a refurbished Lenovo W541 laptop (4xi7 2.9 Ghz, 32G Ram, Quatro K2100, 3K IPS, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro) primarily for video editing in Adobe Premiere CC2019. When operating from electricity, everything is fine, the laptop is running great. But when running on battery power at high load, such as when exporting high birate video from Adobe Premiere, when all processor cores work and the graphics card is running at full power, the notebook turns itself off automatically after about two minutes, as if the battery was not enough performance. The battery works perfectly during normal work. I have already tried three original Lenovo batteries from the dealer (4400 mAh and high capacity 9210 mah), with about 15% wear and always with the same result. Problems occur only when working with Adobe Premiere, for activities that require full CPU and graphics card usage. My laptop is up to date, drivers and BIOS are the latest version updated with the Lenovo Vantage utility.

Anybody deal with it? For example, when running on a battery, can CPU power be reduced to 70%? Or do you have any other idea or advice?

Johny,

I'm with Peru Bob, it likely has to do with cooling. It's your internal cooling that needs to be lowered. A couple of things to try.

• Edit in a much cooler space, such as, an office with air conditioning
    • Position the laptop close to the cooling ducts
    • Make sure the area is wide open and has adequate venting
  • Get software which monitors and controls the cooling in the case
    • Determine if you need better cooling by monitoring temperature
    • If it's too hot, see if turning on the fans more frequently helps
    • If turning on the fans does not help, see if you can install better fans
    • Place a household fan so that it blows cool air on the case
  • Turn off any additional monitors or anything else which might require more GPU power.

More info in an ancient blog post I made. Still relevant though: Computer shuts down while using GPU intensive applications

Thanks,
Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

laptop with battery + Adobe Premiere at Full Load = laptop shuts down

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I bought a refurbished Lenovo W541 laptop (4xi7 2.9 Ghz, 32G Ram, Quatro K2100, 3K IPS, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro) primarily for video editing in Adobe Premiere CC2019. When operating from electricity, everything is fine, the laptop is running great. But when running on battery power at high load, such as when exporting high birate video from Adobe Premiere, when all processor cores work and the graphics card is running at full power, the notebook turns itself off automatically after about two minutes, as if the battery was not enough performance. The battery works perfectly during normal work. I have already tried three original Lenovo batteries from the dealer (4400 mAh and high capacity 9210 mah), with about 15% wear and always with the same result. Problems occur only when working with Adobe Premiere, for activities that require full CPU and graphics card usage. My laptop is up to date, drivers and BIOS are the latest version updated with the Lenovo Vantage utility.

Anybody deal with it? For example, when running on a battery, can CPU power be reduced to 70%? Or do you have any other idea or advice?

Johny,

I'm with Peru Bob, it likely has to do with cooling. It's your internal cooling that needs to be lowered. A couple of things to try.

• Turn off any additional monitors or anything else which might require more GPU power.

More info in an ancient blog post I made. Still relevant though: Computer shuts down while using GPU intensive applications

Thanks,
Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 14, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be an overheating issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but what about it? When operating on electricity, it heats up like a battery and does not turn off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 0
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be an issue with the laptop not interpreting the battery charge properly and it is shutting down because it thinks that the battery doesn't have enough power left.

Try removing the battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, reinstall the battery and try again with a fully charged battery.  Keep an eye on the battery charge remaining.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 0
Guide ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting question.... hmmmm.

in most situations when you plug in a ac to dc power supply to a laptop it is actually 'charging' the battery' at the same time that it is providing power to do your work. Normally there's an indicator that tells you how much the battery is charged, when it's plugged into a wall outlet ( ac/dc converter ).

so the power at that point is coming from the wall outlet, not your battery ( which is happy cause it is being charged as you work ).

the specs of battery stuff is not just volts ( how charged it is ) but also the amps and watts.  Those are inherent in the actual battery specs.

As you noted, it has x number of mAh, which you can google to get info.

Sooooo, when running on wall outlet you are charging the battery but using the wall outlet for power.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 0
Guide ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.

unfortunately, batteries have a finite lifetime.. even wet cell batteries ( like in your gas powered car ) have a limited lifetime. rechargeable batteries ( cadmium, lithion ion ) also have limited lifetimes.. they all can sorta get old and not do such cool stuff .. like get fully charged, and provide the amp hours they are supposed to.

I think you'll just have to adjust how you work with the laptop so you don't have problems.. like, only do exports ( which uses a lot of resources ( cpu, gpu, etc. ) when plugged in ???

good luck !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johny,

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 0
Guide ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respectfully disagree with this down pat answer, because the poster said he has no problem when it's plugged in. If it was a heat issue it would happen in both scenarios ( in my stupid opinion ).  The cpu or gpu or SOMETHING would get hot enough to trigger an internal safeguard to keep the hardware from being hurt by the heat.

If it only happens when using the battery then it's probably the battery.

???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 0
Guide ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s. I hope you are right, though, Kevin.. that would be really cool !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I did not mark that post as correct. Perhaps the OP did? Maybe the batt made the box hotter or did not operate the fan at full speed. All kinds of scenarios!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 1
Guide ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh. thought you did.  well, hope it's solved !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 0
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fans on my Acer Predator Triton 500 have very different "base" profiles depending on whether the power is AC or battery. The base setting is maxed at less than half the fan RPM rate for being powered by AC. So yes, unless you change the fan behavior to a custom one, for many laptops being on battery does mean a vastly lower fan rate.

It's one of many things designed to extend battery life ... like powering down the screen 20-40%, choking the CPU and or the GPU, things like that. It's a totally different beast plugged in.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your advice. I think it will really be a problem with overheating. I'll try to find the fan settings and processor performance when running on the battery. Will you advise me on a program that can do this, ideally for Lenovo notebooks?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2019 0
Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They would have a Lenovo app or utility handling that sort of thing.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me:

Change Advanced Power Settings - Processor Power Management (battery mode)- Maximum Processor Status Set 90% and System Cooling Set to Active.

Now everything is fine and the laptop doesn't turn off even when rendering high birate video.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2019 1