Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large timeout until imported video will play

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

So i am having this issue and i am fairly certain there already is some posts regarding that behaviour. However, unfortunately I wasn't able to find a reliable solution or posts that exactly describe my issue. Therefore and since i am unable to devote more time into this, i am asking you here directly.

The problem:
When importing a video file (no matter the datatype, but in this test i've used "MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0") from the project files into the timeline, the requested file, even though it is short (aprox. 3 min), will not play at all in the preview window for about 2-4 minutes, sometimes even longer.
Please don't get me wrong. I am NOT getting the "media pending" screen. 
I am even able to switch the time-index slider around the timeline and the preview will update fairly quickly. It's just when i press "space" or click the "play" button in the preview window, nothing happens for an unbearable length of time..

I previously suspected having chosen the wrong "Video rendering and Playback" Renderer could be the issue here. I tried looking up the right option here, but i got confused. 
I am using an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and i am using the "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)". Is that the right one?

I have also tried switching the "audio hardware" device class to MME (as someone in a different post suggested), however, it was already set to MME 😞

Is there anything i can do?
Kind regards 🙂

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start with the obvious stuff

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and does your system meet the requirements

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

no reason not to try switching from Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL).  won't hurt anything and if it doesn't help, you can switch back.

And you might check to see if you have the latest drivers for the graphics card..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure! Sorry for failing to mention them in the first place.

Premiere V.: 14.6
Physical Memory: 16GB (DDR4-3600, CLI15-15-3)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (ASUS, ROG Strix) (8GB GDDR6 Memory)
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K

Therefore my computer should comply with the system requirements!

I have actually tried switching around "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)" and "Software only". I couldn't really see any improvements. However, after switing around 2 times thereabouts, the usual 2-4 Minutes delay has gone by and the video playback starts. Although i think this is only due to the wait time inbetween renderer switches.

Well, concerning the video drivers. I just checked and they are indeed slightly out of date. BUT i've had this issue for a while already. Back when the currently installed drivers were in fact the most up to date, so i highly doubt a driver update will fix the issue. Nonetheless i shall update the drivers regardless 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines