Latest thoughts on 2020 iMac i9 vs iMac Pro re:performance

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, this old chesnut, but I've been scouring the interwebs for info and coming up short so here I am. My video production company is getting ready to make a large hardware investment to upgrade our machines. We exclusively use Premiere Pro latest version and want to use the iMac form factor, so this thread is limited to that discussion. We primarily do multicam productions with a mix of 4k and 1080 footage (4-6 sources). Typical finished programs are 1-1.5 hours. Nothing fancy effects wise but there is generally a lot of Lumetri involved. I need help from the working pros here who make their living editing.

Main questions:

1. From a performance standpoint, is it better to have the newer i9 processor with 10 cores or more cores as offered by the the Xeon processors (14-18)? Where is the perfromance most pronounced?

2. The Radeon Pro 5700 seems to be a major problem slowing things down, has this been addressed in the 14.8/14.9? Does the Radeon Pro 5500 exhibit similar slow down issues?
3. Is the Radeon Pro Vega 64 a better solution compatibility wise with Premiere Pro? It's a drag to see that the GPU's that are available now from Apple are not on the Adobe recommended list.
4. In terms of stability and the overall editing experience (playback, exporting, responsivness) has the 2020 iMac i9 5k overtaken the iMac Pro or is the Pro still the better overall solution for professional level editing.

We're in Premiere 8-12 hours a day cranking out content, so this decision is a big deal for us. Any feedback you can provide based on your experience would be greatly valued. Thanks!

ADOBE PLEASE PARTICIPATE IN THIS THREAD

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Have something to add?