• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer 2 is shading Layer 1. Why?

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Junior Adobe Premiere user here. Using Premiere Pro 2020 on Windows 10.

I am interviewing a person on Layer 1. I added a picture in the upper right corner of the screen on Layer 2. I just imported the image and dragged it to the timeline so it is on a new layer, then scaled it and repositioned it using the Effects Control panel.  If I select "Scale" on that object, the bounding box is just around the image in the upper-right.  It looks perfect in Premiere when I playback, but when I export to MP4, for the duration of the clip on Layer2, the whole of Layer1 fades slightly.  Is there a way to not have the whole of Layer 1 fade?

Export settings: H.264, Match Source Bitrate, HW encoding, VBR, 1 pass, Target Bitrate: 10Mbps

Any ideas on what causes this and how to not fade the whole bottom layer?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Turn off hardware encoding in export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck Composite in Linear color in the sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion but that did not fix the issue.  I unchecked the "Composite in Linea Color" and re-exported.  The resulting MP4 still has the issue.  The entire image (Layer 1) is slighly masked (looks like a light grey fog) for the duration that Layer 2 (in the upper right) is displayed.

-Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the opacity blend mode is set to normal and that opacity is 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.   For the bottom layer (Layer 1), the Effect Control panel shows 100% Opacity with a blend-mode of Normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more piece of informaton:   I have tried this twice in my timeline... once with a JPG and once with a PNG which transparent background. Both are scalled to fit in the upper right of the screen so we can still see the person being interviewed on Layer 1 and both instances seem to behave the same way (applying some white shade to all of layer 1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information:  I resized my JPG in Photoshop (outside Premiere) and tried to add it to Layer 2 so I could rule out the scaling and moving I did in Premiere.  The same "shading" of Layer 1 happened.  In this case, I just dragged the new smaller JPG onto my timeline on Layer 2 and exported my timeout.  No scaling, moving or anything.  Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off hardware encoding in export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bummer though that I can't use my GPU.   Any ideas why??  I guess I should invest in a larger CPU.   I actually built this with a Ryzen5 3600 (64GB & NVMe drive)  just for this project but Premiere still sometimes cannot playback and sync with video... video sometimes freezes.   What CPU does it take?  My videos are only about 10 minutes long with at most 4 layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines