• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legacy Title: Why are you still using it?

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow editors. I know that a lot of us are still using the Legacy Titler for our titling duties in Premiere Pro.

While "change" is never fun, my impression is that some people just have not taken the time to learn or become fluid or fluent with the tools, and that's understandable.

I've found the new title tools pretty compelling. I've swtiched to them. I found that some people are not even aware of the tools or how they function. Surprisingly, making a simple .mogrt is something many have not even tried. Sound familiar? No problem, here's the documentation.

Please respond here as to why you are using Legacy Titler below and I will pass along the feedback to the Premiere Pro team. Not here to judge, just to provide good feedback. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 120 Replies 120
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides if you upgrade the graphic to a Master Graphic it will appear in the Project Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd pass this on. I downloaded the new Premiere beta to see if the Legacy title maker is still in it. It is. My custom styles are gone, even though I opened my previous project, but here is the strange thing. When I close the panel and then reopen it the panels are right where I left them. I could not believe it! I did it four times and it opened the same way. I know, I know, it is going away, but for right now it is better than before. I hope this works for others too. Just an fyi. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several valid reasons were given. I hope this thread was done out of concern for the users and Adobe has decided to keep the Legacy Titler and perhaps revamp it a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Legacy Titles are vastly better than the new graphics version.

Here's why:

1. It's really fast - the new version slows down the edit and is very fiddlly, not good for floow or fast editing, which we do a lot of here (never met an editor that likes working with new titles (we did a 26 ep sewries with it and nearly pulled our hair out, because of the extra amount of time it took to make an adjustment).

2. If we want fancy titles, we would create it in AE,  not Premiere.

3. Leagacy titles - Stability, Stability & Stability....

The new titles have crashed every machine in the office, and have cause significant distruption.

4. Sending text to clients and mastering houses is really quick and seamless, new version is not.

Hope that will give you an idea why many editors prefer it and I wish Adobe would stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. If we want fancy titles, we would create it in AE,  not Premiere.

By @mickpeninsulaTV

I'm not sure what exactly you consider fancy, but it's really easy to make a text layer with the Type tool and then change its Font, Size, Fill, Stroke, Shadow and Background or other thigns to make it stand out a little more over your video. You can also apply transitions like cross dissolve to it like you would with any other piece of media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last but not least image quality. I am sticking with the Legacy Titler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, if you're going to discontinue a useful tool, you should make sure its replacment is at least as usful, hopfully even better. This is not the case with essential graphics. One easy example it adding a graphic image to titles. In legacy its a click of a button. In essential graphics, it's darn near impossible. A even if you go through all the gyrations and use only the 2 perscribed graphic types, you still have to try to sync the roll of the logo, etc. with the original verbiage. In legacy you simply import a wide verity of graphic types, place them where you want them and the scroll with the rest. So please at least fix this before you discontinue Legacy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've mostly gotten used to the new Graphics now, but...

1. I still have some older projects that I may be asked to go back in and re-edit and have to change a title that may have been created in Legacy Title.  If that completely goes away, will I need to recreate that title from scratch?

2. On the new Graphics tool, how do I do true rolls and crawls?  I do a lot of PSA's with crawling text on the lower third, and while I know I can keyframe the entire text block to move from A to B on the screen, I would like to be able to see what I'm typing by having the text move continuously as I type to create it, as I could with a real crawl option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have the new process to update Legacy titles to master or source graphics, something like that. It can handle a number of things from the old Titler, but unfortunately not all effects. So some things you might have to redo in the new title it creates.

As to crawls ... I see you mean horizontal scrolling text, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, horizontal scrolling text.  It's pretty common on television still to this day, and Adobe had the capability before; I'm not sure why Adobe "taketh away" certain features they once spent time and money developing prior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've mostly gotten used to the new Graphics now, but...

2. On the new Graphics tool, how do I do true rolls and crawls?

By @Dale - TC

To make a Roll, make sure the Grahic track item is selected in the Timeline and that no layers are selected. You will then see a checkbox for "Roll" Under the Responsive Design - Time section. The rate of the roll will depend on how long your text (or other layers) are vertically and the duration of the Graphic in the Timeline.

Crawls are currently not possible in this way, but it;s a good request. For now, you have to animate position for your text in the ECP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this thread popped into my inbox today I thought it relevant to ask a question that's been bugging me - how do I save a style from the Essential Graphics panel when I'm doing captions so I can use it again in other projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save styles, John. It's very simple. Create the style, then save it. Drag it onto other titles. Check out the documentation for the Essential Graphics panel.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can save the style and reuse it in that project but there doesn't seem to be any way to save it between projects. At least not with captions. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was NOTHING wrong with Legacy ... you just need stuff to do to keep your jobs. Stop playing around with stuff EDITORS use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Damian,

Sorry for the frustration. As I understand it, the main problem was that the old code was untenable moving forward.

Stop playing around with stuff EDITORS use. 

This is a user to user forum, mainly. Let the team know your feelings here: Premiere Pro User Voice That's where they engage with editors.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly!  You should focus on stability, stability, stability, and maybe also making your color corrector more like DaVinci's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dalec,

Tell the team that, not me. https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/34577332-please-do-not-elim...

I'm only the support guy.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure most of us professionals would agree that we are not at all afraid of change.In fact, we welcome it. But change and advancement are 2 very different things. Change for the sake of change or change that diminishes your product makes no sense. Please examin your product and talk to people like us that use it every day, if you really want to know how to move forward. Unless you make essential at least as good as legacy, your "change" is a giant step backwards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'm sure others here feel the same way, but upgrades should never TAKE AWAY features that editors feel useful (e.g., horizontal crawls, or ENCORE - some of us still like to master to disc! - you should have kept and improved Encore and added 4K blu-ray capability).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dalec,

This is a user to user forum. Let the team know your feelings here: Premiere Pro User Voice That's where the product team takes requests.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very much like to see inner and outerstroke with several properties. I miss those too.

But overall you can do a lot with the new EGP if you set you mind to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an issue with Encore in that the 'authoring' propcess was licensed from another company. Which was bought out by another company who didn't want to keep licensing that code anymore. Adobe didn't have any option about ending that particular version.

I'm one who also wishes they'd rebuilt it around another licensed authoring process. Although ... personally ... I haven't 'burned' a disc in over two years now. My big hot 24-core new computer doesn't even have an optical drive, nor does my high-end laptop.

The easy process for horizontal scrolls would certainly be a good thing to have!

I also keep pushing for a shapes library. And an easier process for storing graphics with projects as so often, the graphics are very job-specific and will not be used for other purposes. So when we archive the project, we need to be able to archive the graphics with it rather than keep every graphic we've ever created on live local storage or a CC library.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I wish Adobe had just outright BOUGHT the authoring technology, as it was one of the most user-friendly and intuitive interfaces (others will disagree with me) I've ever used for authoring a DVD or blu-ray.  It seems a lot of people I talk to are fine with just having their raw media and finished productions on solid-state flash memory, SSD, etc., but I have a discomfort level with that (and not because I'm resistant to change).  From what I've read, flash memory of all types are still pretty volatile and we don't know how long they'll last.  I think the computing industry is still shortsighted as far as not having a present-day technology that can act as a true archive technology - I'm talking about one that can last AT LEAST 100 years, preferably thousands, so we can always access records of things (especially important where I work, a county government where someone may want to access one of our meetings years or decades from now, for research or whatever).  Why is it that today (thousands of years later) we can still see at least ruins of the Colosseum or read Egyptian hieroglyphics, but we can't make a computer storage medium last that long and keep its data intact?  That's what scares me.  And most of us don't have Hollywood money to print back to film.

As for one-off projects, that's fine, but what if you want to create a project that's episodic in nature, where you might want to have different sequences for different episodes within one project, but just have a Titles bin where you can drag and drop the same titles onto different sequences as you work on them?  Seems a lot easier to me than having to copy and paste from one sequence to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines