Highlighted

Legacy Title: Why are you still using it?

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow editors. I know that a lot of us are still using the Legacy Titler for our titling duties in Premiere Pro.

While "change" is never fun, my impression is that some people just have not taken the time to learn or become fluid or fluent with the tools, and that's understandable.

I've found the new title tools pretty compelling. I've swtiched to them. I found that some people are not even aware of the tools or how they function. Surprisingly, making a simple .mogrt is something many have not even tried. Sound familiar? No problem, here's the documentation.

Please respond here as to why you are using Legacy Titler below and I will pass along the feedback to the Premiere Pro team. Not here to judge, just to provide good feedback. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Kevin

Topics

How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Legacy Title: Why are you still using it?

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow editors. I know that a lot of us are still using the Legacy Titler for our titling duties in Premiere Pro.

While "change" is never fun, my impression is that some people just have not taken the time to learn or become fluid or fluent with the tools, and that's understandable.

I've found the new title tools pretty compelling. I've swtiched to them. I found that some people are not even aware of the tools or how they function. Surprisingly, making a simple .mogrt is something many have not even tried. Sound familiar? No problem, here's the documentation.

Please respond here as to why you are using Legacy Titler below and I will pass along the feedback to the Premiere Pro team. Not here to judge, just to provide good feedback. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Kevin

Topics

How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 13, 2020 5
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really use Legacy Titles anymore, however I did notice that you can do a text roll in EG, but you can't do a text crawl. Also, unless it's just something that I haven't figured out yet, there isn't a straightforward way to do a gradient fill on your text like you could with Legacy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 1
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mask text with shape that has a gradient or

drop a 4 color gradient over the text.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 4
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That'll do it. Thank you 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
Engaged ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly it is possible.
However, the process and effort to realize it are not very cost-effective.
Moreover, you have to readjust the position of the gradation each time you type a letter.
Legacy titles made it easy and saved as a preset. Regarding the gradation function, it is not a spec that stands in line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 0
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I miss the sheen feature.

Inner/outer stroke not centre stroke.

edited

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 3
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a popular effect especially with editors from Japan.

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old titling system allows for individualy setting the transparecny amount of the fill and all the strokes. It has beveled edges and more drawing tools (custom shapes). I hope they improve the old legacy titling system. I can use the new titling tool but it still is lacking some features.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

JPooley has a post on the 'other thread' with a list of things he wants from the Olde Titler into the EGP. First and foremost on that list to me is MORE SHAPES. Yea, I've learned some at times incredibly complex ways to make what seem such simple things ... but why should it be like that?

And I do thank jstrawn of the development team for advising me on a couple. Like ... to make a simple bar with say 50* ends that doesn't change the end angle on stretching it ... you make a long thing rectangle, give it a gradient! ... then make a couple extra control/opacity points on it set next to each other at each end, fiddling with them so they're one pixel apart, then mess with the angle tool of the gradient to get the ends to the right angle ... do you follow all that?

Every time I make one, I have to get his instructions back out, it's that fiddly and complex. Just to make a freaking simple shape. And if you try to make this in Illustrator, then lengthen out the shape to fit your line of text ... the end angles get warped by the horizontal size change unless you are fine with every use of it across a project being a different thickness.

As Ann mentions, inner/outer strokes are cool, sheen ... yea, why they dropped that I dunno ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niel,

I hope I made it clear that that Gradient Fill angle/stop workflow I came up with was jsut a clunky workaround to get you a geometrically accurate parallelogram using the existing tools. I believe what you really need is a skew property for shapes (rectangles) rather than a dedicated parallelogram tool. Besides that, rounded rectangle is probably the most conspicuously missing shape tool. More complex shapes would likely be done in Ps, Ai or Ae and then used in Pr like still image media. Do you agree?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2020 0
Engaged ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

I'm still using Legacy Titler because I have workflow automation tools built around it. Fast / efficient solutions for converting Plain Text into a project bin full of subtitle text items or SRT files into fully subtitled sequences. I have looked into converting those tools to use Essential Graphics but last time I checked (a few months back) importing/instantiating hundreds of MOGRT instances was painfully slow and clunky, so although the tool is prepped, I've stuck to Legacy Titles. Am also quite the fan of my title tool elements/instances having associated project items. Probably time I looked again in the following regard, but if I remember correctly, theres a disparity of support in the scripting API between After Effects built MOGRTs vs Premiere's native MOGRTs... with the former getting all the love.

Cheers

Andy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0