Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lift without resetting In/Out points

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm just moving over from Avid for a project and am suffering from a mixture of joy and hate. 

Does anyone know if it possible to do a Lift without removing the In and Out points in Premiere?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean lift a segment out, but keep the in/out for dropping it elsewhere?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't think so.

I mean lift a segment out of a sequence, but don't remove the ins and outs on the sequence I'm editing (until I tell it to clear IN and OUT) 

The following operation:

- I lift a section out of the sequence (on V1,A1,A2) .

- Then I use the IN point as a snap point to move audio to on A9,A10. 

- OR I repatch the source tracks and I overwrite something from my source into the sequence using the existing IN-OUT. 

- Then I clear the INs and OUTs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh.

If you've got in/out and use lift in Premiere, the in/out disappear. The gap stays there.

To auto-insert something there, you'd need to have the playhead/CTI at the in-point before lifting. Depending on whether you used Insert or Overwrite, it would either add the new clip and move everything to the right, or simply add the new clip and overwrite anything it overlapped.

To do essentially a 3/4 point edit, you'd need to reset the the in & out points (out point 1 frame left of the next clip). Then with an in or out set on a clip in the Source monitor, it would fill the gap using an Overwrite move.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Neil for the response. Understood. That's not exactly the scenario I'm after, but it's close (the patching after the lift in my scenario above is the issue here). I suppose I'm just used to using the IN and OUT points as pivot points after I've lifted clips in Avid and I'm finding the disposal of these bits of information to be unnecessary. I guess there's no simple setting to prevent Premiere Pro from behaving in this way.

No worries. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Perhaps I can write a little script to store current IN to OUTs in ExtendScript and replace them again if needs be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines