Highlighted

Link Media on Network drive in Premiere Pro CC

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. In premiere pro CC, I'm trying to link media that has been changed or moved to a project. The media I'm looking for is on a network drive. When I click on "locate media" I am unable to browse to the netwok drive as there are simply no drives showing up under the "network drives" dropdown. Any ideas on how to make Permiere see my network to locate these files? Thanks in advance. BB.

Correct answer by petergillis | Community Beginner

I just had the same problem. The workaround was to create a shortcut to the folder holding the media on my desktop. Then in the Premiere Locate File I was able to dive into the server to access and link the files that way. Although this solution has a big shortcoming, because it relies on the shortcut being there. If you remove the shortcut the files can no longer be located.

Sidenote: In this day and age, that Premiere doesn't handle accessing media on servers well, is very surprising to me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Link Media on Network drive in Premiere Pro CC

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. In premiere pro CC, I'm trying to link media that has been changed or moved to a project. The media I'm looking for is on a network drive. When I click on "locate media" I am unable to browse to the netwok drive as there are simply no drives showing up under the "network drives" dropdown. Any ideas on how to make Permiere see my network to locate these files? Thanks in advance. BB.

Correct answer by petergillis | Community Beginner

I just had the same problem. The workaround was to create a shortcut to the folder holding the media on my desktop. Then in the Premiere Locate File I was able to dive into the server to access and link the files that way. Although this solution has a big shortcoming, because it relies on the shortcut being there. If you remove the shortcut the files can no longer be located.

Sidenote: In this day and age, that Premiere doesn't handle accessing media on servers well, is very surprising to me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 17, 2014 2
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, outside of using Adobe Anywhere, the better option is usually to keep everything local.  Use network drives only for backup.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2014 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some/all? versions of Premiere do not work properly, if at all, over a network

-see messages #1 and #3 in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151

-you MUST give all users administrator accounts to use Premiere

-and especially Encore dual layer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

-#5 Server 2008 is UNsupported http://forums.adobe.com/thread/851602

-a work around, of sorts http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957523

-and not on a "domain" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/858977

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/networks-removable-media-dva.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2015 2
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just switch off 'Use Media Finder' on the locate dialogue, Premiere then uses explorer and you can find your network drives in the normal way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2015 17
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Richard,

Unticking "Use Media Browser to locate files" in the "Link Media" dialog and using the OS file browser is quick and painless.

M3ixyPm.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2016 11
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what worked for me. Thank you for the tip!

(Media browser wasn't even able to find an alias on my desktop).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked here as well. We have this contious problem on/off when Premiere working on the server. Usually derived when a project is created on Mac OS and then later on opened on a Windows machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.. thanks so much. Lost precious time fighuring out this. Why Adobe changes things that worked for users, for somethinmg else more complicated...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally works this solution, use this people, thanks Julienprod

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not believe I've never noticed that option before!!!! Thank you!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is to map the network drive to your computer and then Premiere Pro CC will detect it under network drive at the Media Browser panel.

I've created short blog post with step by step instructions and screenshots for this problem. Do check it out! SOLUTION: Link or Import Media on Network drive in Premiere Pro CC 2015

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2015 3