• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loading into source window RED footage crashes Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loading RED footage into the source window is constantly crashing Premiere for me.

Currently running:

• Core i7 7820x @ 3.60GHz
  • 32 GB Ram
  • GTX 1070

The Red footage in question runs no problem in Media Composer, Red Cine-X Pro, and DaVinci Resolve Studio at a full debayer in real time. Most of the footage is either UHD or full 4K at 23.976fps. I'm cutting a feature and this issue is preventing me from finishing and may necessitate a move to Avid.

When the RED footage is in the timeline there doesn't seem to be any issue. I've tried troubleshooting for several months doing all of the obvious steps with no luck.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does Windows Event Viewer say about the crashes?

EventViewer-AccessViolation-DLL.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just that the Premiere stopped interacting with Windows . No exception code or fault offset given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.  That's a tough one.

All I got is to work through the troubleshooter.  Maybe something will help.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we can get someone able to help ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after months of trying to figure this out I just had a breakthrough moment:

99.99% of the time I will double click on a clip to load it into the source window. I just happened to click and drag a RED clip into the source window, which I never do in Premiere but sometimes do when working in Avid. For some strange reason I can't quite figure out, all of my RED footage loads and plays in the source viewer when it is dragged into the viewer.

But Premiere will still crash if I double click on a RED clip. This project also has a lot of Alexa, Varicam,and GoPro footage in various sizes and frame rates all working flawlessly. So the problem isn't gone, but it appears I have a workaround for now.

My fear though is that this will only be temporary, as I was editing the RED footage will no issues until this problem suddenly arose. It has nothing to do with program versions or drivers as far as I can tell. Just that after months of using the footage with no problem it was suddenly breaking Premiere.

If anyone can shed more information on the problem it would be very helpful as I can't narrow down what the issue is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE post that information on the bug/features forum so it goes directly into the engineers system. It's linked from the top section of the Overview page of this forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's done. Fingers crossed something comes from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about giving the link to your UserVoice post here so I and others can go vote on it, to give a bit more push?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just went over and voted for it, thanks Jeff!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

=============

For some strange reason I can't quite figure out, all of my RED footage loads and plays in the source viewer when it is dragged into the viewer.

But Premiere will still crash if I double click on a RED clip. This project also has a lot of Alexa, Varicam,and GoPro footage in various sizes and frame rates all working flawlessly.

=============

I had the same problem a while back and hooked up my telephone to the computer, and that fixed EVERYTHING !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you've got a lot of high-quality footage running around in this sequence. Have you made proxies? That lightens the workload for Premiere by a lot.

Hope that's helpful!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that with no luck with the proxy feature built into Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is really odd. Double-Click or drag to Source monitor should behave the same way, so one way crashing and the other does not is a head scratcher. If you were to quit Premiere Pro, delete your Media Cache folders, launch again, then create a new Project and import only one R3D clip. If you double-clicked the clip, does it still crash?

Just trying to isolate if it is a simple issue with R3D clip or if it requires all the other media in the Project to trigger it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help Investigate and I have some RED files on hand. May not be until Monday though

Do you see the Premiere crash dialog?

What camera shot this? IPP2 or legacy footage?

Are you seeing this with most R3Ds? If so, that would be unexpected.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have excaly yhe same problem here. Its a nightmare to edit my project shot on RED Gemini. I have a brand new AERO Laptop i9 rtx 2080 64Gb of Ram and a 2To ssd hardrive. Please adobe fix this ;I may be tempted to go to davinci if not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lenz,

I can't replicate this. And it's clearly something very few users have had, or we'd have certainly seen more posts here.

Any way you could share a short clip of test media of the particular Red media causing the issue? I for one would be happy to test it on my rig.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues in latest update. When double clicking R3d files to load clip it crashes. I've been editing a trailer for the past 8 hours and I have had a crash almost every half hour. This is really annoying. I was thinking about trying reslove, but I swiched from FCP to PP and I don't want to learn new software, but I will if I have to.  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RED is playing fine on both my laptop and desktop here ... so just asking some questions to try and puzzle this through.

What is of course the hardware you're running ... CPU/RAM/OS/GPU ... and drives ...

What sort of drive and connections are the media stored on?

How are you importing the media into Premiere ... from finder/explorer, Project panel/import, MediaBrowser/Ingest, what?

And if you haven't been ingesting it via the MediaBrowser, I'd suggest trying that option.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I'm running Mac pro mid 2010. 

2.8 Ghz quad core Intel Xeon

16gb ran

Os. 10.13.6

Graphics card: RX 580 8192 MB

Premiere Pro w4.0.4 (Build 18)

Media is on Seagate 6tb usb 2.0

all media ingested cia finder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing several things ... first of course, 2010 computer is totally ancient tech ... yea, my first computer was in the mid/late 80's, don't know how many I've been through since. Sigh. And the current one needs a major upgrade for the media I'm working now. Ouch.

Next, a four core CPU, with only 16GB of RAM ... for RED media, that's not gonna be near optimal in and of itself.

A USB2.0 drive connection for the media ... I don't see any way that can have the throughput multi-K RED media requires.

And last ... RED media, like the Arri or BlackMagic RAW, Sony LOG ... they all have a ton of important metadata in the files that Premiere must use properly to edit properly. Drag/dropping from Finder/Explorer just isn't an optimal way to do that. I most strongly suggest using the MediaBrowser to navigate to/ingest such meta-heavy media.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is still a problem!!!!!!!

I'm running a 27 IMac with 10.14.6

3.6 GHz Intel Core i9

40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

With all footage running off a Thunderbolt 2 RAID at 500MB per second.

We imported the footage through media browser.

We have Sony, GoPro, DJI, Black Magic, Panasonic, you name it, we shot it and we only crash when double-click on a RED clip from the bin.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully, it's a rare problem ... not happily, you've got it now. Been there done that on the "I'm the lucky one" issues. Not good.

Note this is only the second post on this in what, six months? And the other one was on older kit. NOT like yours.

So ... what in the world is causing this on your gear? Of that list of media, I would expect to see more problems with the GoPro, drone, and Panasonic (depending on the camera & settings) than with RED.

Is it only on the one project, does it do this if you create a new project, import some RED clips via MediaBrowser, and drag/drop one to a timeline?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without getting into weeds regarding computers this issue has occured on know that I have had this same problem on 5 different macs... Currently my 16" 2020 Macbook pro and my new M1 Mac mini have the same issue...

When a RED file is selected within the Effects Control screen there are two windows to make adjustments... One the Motion, Opacity, Time Remapping, and audio adjustmets the other window being the RED meta adjustments window or the source window for that specific file selected...

If I quickly select the source window without allowing my curser to rest over the source window title long enough for the popup type displaying the window title Premiere goes into infinitine scrolling rainbow circle crash mode...

Its obnoxious... Common issue on all Macs I have ever used. My MacTower, my 2013 15" Macbook Pro, my 2020 16" Macbook Pro, a 2019 27" iMac, and now my new M1 Mac mini...

If I could I would have ditched Premiere years ago... I just keep dealing with the BullS#$! hoping someday Premiere, Macs, and RED raw will work well together...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines