Highlighted

Lock position of mask (matte)

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,

I'm trying to create a UI video of a number of text options being scrolled through within a search field.

That means I want only a portion of text to be visible within a rectangle, and I want to move the type around within the rectangle mask (matte) *without* the rectangle mask moving.

How can I achieve this in Premiere Pro? No matter how I add a mask (via a separate title or directly in Effects Opacity), it always moves with the type I'm masking when I change the Position in the Motion Effects.

For reference, in Photoshop, this is as easy as clicking the mask link icon. I really wish there was a similar icon or tick box to check in Premiere.

Thanks for any replies.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lock position of mask (matte)

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,

I'm trying to create a UI video of a number of text options being scrolled through within a search field.

That means I want only a portion of text to be visible within a rectangle, and I want to move the type around within the rectangle mask (matte) *without* the rectangle mask moving.

How can I achieve this in Premiere Pro? No matter how I add a mask (via a separate title or directly in Effects Opacity), it always moves with the type I'm masking when I change the Position in the Motion Effects.

For reference, in Photoshop, this is as easy as clicking the mask link icon. I really wish there was a similar icon or tick box to check in Premiere.

Thanks for any replies.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 06, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply a Mask to an Adjustment Layer and the Title is on a separate layer...does that work?

A Track Matte maybe a solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply a Crop to an Adjustment Layer above the text.  Nest the AL and Text into their own sequence.  (Select, right click, Nest.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2016 2
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This works pretty well, except I can’t see any other part of my video while I'm editing the nested sequence. Can that be changed somehow?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere Pro, I don't think so.

In After Effects, maybe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2016 0
Rebean LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helped me, Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what the issue is here.

I assume your "Search Field " is a Graphic box /frame?

This is where the mask is set up and this graphic should be on a layer above the text.

That means you have independent control of the text within the mask.

Can you post a frame grab?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2016 0
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, shooternz. Unfortunately I can’t post a screen grab.

Perhaps part of what s making this so tricky is the search field is transparent, revealing a screened back lifestyle image below it.

The Cropping of and Nesting with and Adjustment layered worked, but required a lot of trial and error to get the positioning correct as I couldn’t see the rest of my composition as I would making changes.

That said, I don’t quite follow what you are suggesting. How should I be creating a mask on the search field graphic in order for it to apply to the text on the layer above it?

I’m having a tough time getting my head around how these things are applied based on drop down selection menus within the mask effect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some sort of example.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is where the mask is set up and this graphic should be on a layer above the text.

That wouldn't stop the text from bleeding over out of the desired masked area.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We  really need to see a frame grab or reference for this,

Some years ago and before masks, as we now have them In PPro..

I made a TVC and a component of this  was an excel spreadsheet on screen.

I was able to change the data in the separate fields as I chose. I even gave them a type on effect.

I am imagining this is something similar within a Search Box graphic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2016 0
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the delayed response. I ended up getting thing working via @Jim_Simon’s post.

Below is what I was after. If there is a better way of achieving this that would allow be to see the rest of my video while making edits to it I'm all ears.

Thanks!

2016-12-13 10.45.03.png2016-12-13 10.45.13.png2016-12-13 10.45.21.png

shooternz

Ann Bens

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2016 0