Highlighted

Looking for laptop recommendation for Premiere Pro

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new job! They're offering to buy a new laptop so I can edit 1080P footage (almost certainly h.264) while on the road. They pointed me to a Lenovo laptop at Costco, but it's definitely not a video editing workhorse (16GB RAM, 1TB HD, RTX 1660 TI GPU). I'm looking for something that's a bit more efficient for video editing using Premiere Pro CC.

I've searched the forums and all posts pertaining to recommended machines are at least a couple of years old. I would think that $3,000 might be the highest they will go.

Are there any off the shelf solutions that give decent performance for editing h.264 video and which won't require rendering every effect before I can play it back?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Looking for laptop recommendation for Premiere Pro

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new job! They're offering to buy a new laptop so I can edit 1080P footage (almost certainly h.264) while on the road. They pointed me to a Lenovo laptop at Costco, but it's definitely not a video editing workhorse (16GB RAM, 1TB HD, RTX 1660 TI GPU). I'm looking for something that's a bit more efficient for video editing using Premiere Pro CC.

I've searched the forums and all posts pertaining to recommended machines are at least a couple of years old. I would think that $3,000 might be the highest they will go.

Are there any off the shelf solutions that give decent performance for editing h.264 video and which won't require rendering every effect before I can play it back?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 28, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, I saw that post before posting my question. The replies are over a year old and there are not many actual recommendations for systems - none are current or take into account the new updates to Premiere Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0
Guide ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. any 9th gen or greater mobile proc(ex. 9-9980HK 5Ghz) should have quicksync built in for h.264 playback acceleration.
2. at least 16GB RAM(32gb for multiple applications) DDR4 >=2666
3. 8GB RAM GPU Nvidia 2070 for NEVC hardware h.264 encoding renders
4. SSD 4TB x 1
5. m.2 1 TB x 2 gen 4
6. usb 3.2

ALIENWARE M17 R3 you can get for under $3k.

if you do get something cheaper, make sure it has quicksync h.264 support or >5.1 Ghz, or you'll be making proxies.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your recommendation, Chris.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0
jyunte9 LATEST
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Any other recommendations?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0