• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Losing render files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a very heavy project with multiple sources, green screen and virual backgrounds.  It took me over five hours to render this thing out and when I shut it down and re-opened it, all my renders were gone. In fact one time I duplicated a sequence and lost half the render files.  I am on Premiere Pro 2020 and this is a major problem.  I have more of the shows comming and if this keeps up I will have to switch to Avid.  Is there anyway to avoid this?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to address your exact issue, but I've noticed all red render bar in your project. Check if you can rearrange effects according to this rules, for faster render: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/order-of-filters-effects-and-drop-in-cuda-rendering-spee...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are your preview files located?

Are they on an external drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are on a G Drive with athunderbolt connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Windows guy, not a Mac guy, but I suspect that the preview files being on that drive is at least part of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, i have been experiencing the same problem. I'm working on a 90 minute documentary with multiple footage on a Full HD timeline in Premiere Pro CC2020. It takes a while to render the whole thing as you can imagine but my timeline eventually turns all green.

If i close Premiere and reopen it, the timeline is back to yellow and i would have to render again.

There's no problem with the render files location (on the same SSD where all my files are) so i don't understand why this is happening.

Did you manage to find a solution? or got any feedback from Adobe regarding this issue?

Cheers,

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll echo pretty much everything here. 85-minute documentary and within two days of rendering from beginning to end the render files on my external Thunderbolt 3 drive become unlinked and the green render line is again yellow and red. This has happened about 10 times over the past month. Not an issue to render overnight but I have to explain to the producer in a remote Zoom session why smooth playback is not an option. The Adobe name gets tarnished a little bit each time...I did not have this problem with Avid Media Composer.

I'll expand the topic to workarounds...is there any way to relink the render files to the sequence or restore the folder's relationship with the project or sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll also mention that the thunderbolt drive has a touchy power supply, and any turbulence on my bookshelf has the potential to turning it off. I get them started again before I do any operations in the Premiere Pro project, and the link to all of the video and audio files are restored. I haven't observed this to be the moment when Premiere "forgets" where the render files are, but I thought I'd add that observation in case render-file-amnesia is somehow related.

As a former Avid user I'm thinking things like, "2022 and still linking issues, Adobe?" The sparse response to this 2021 thread is also underwhelming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution to this issue? I have worked on several versions of Premiere Pro on Window and Mac, now on Mac in 2022 version. Why do we lose connection to the render files????  I can have 2 timelines open, render sequence 1, switch to sequence 2 and then switch back to sequence 1 - the red lines are back. I have the render folder with the project on an fast external SSD. Otherwise the internal drive fills up, especailly as I need to re-render everytime I switch to export another sequence. Please advise or fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. V23.3 and PP just seems to randomly forget all the render files after a day or two, sometimes after just closing adn opeing it. Also I have one complex project that takes minutes after openng to find the render files when they do wotk. They are stored on an external drive within the project foldres. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are stored on an external drive within the project foldres. 

By @James5FC9

Does the external drive have a setting that allows it to sleep?  That could be the issue.

If that's not it, try a different cable or port to the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different cables have been used, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the drive going to sleep or not. Yesterday I checked that the project was rendered, closed PP and unhooked the drive and then this morning first thing I plugged the drive in, launched the project and render files lost. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@James5FC9 wrote:

unhooked the drive and then this morning first thing I plugged the drive in,

Did you assign the drive a fixed drive letter?  If not, that would be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I'm on a mac, that's never been a thing I've needed to do in 20 years. Also other projects on that drive link back to their render files fine, it's just the very complex projects with lots of layering and mogrts that are losing  the links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will help but I've just lost my render files (again!) when my PC went to sleep. Previously it's been on 24/7 as I've been working on a project involving 12x 1-1.40mins multicam dance shows (that'll teach to save energy!). What I did notice however is that I only lost the render files of sequences that were open in the timeline when last saved e.g any sequences that were closed at the previous save retained the render files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that it affects only open sequences.

One trick that works in offline transition renders (especially morph dissolves) is to turn off "enable" for the media and then enable it again, which seems to repair the pathway to the render file. Dunno if that would work for selecting all the clips in a whole sequence, right clicking and unchecking "enable" then rechecking them (it would, of course, mess you up if you have intentionally disabled clips in your timeline!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone on this thread still losing Rendered files - as of Premiere 23.5 version ?.

I have a major issue with 4K Pro Res rendered files being lost.

See my post  in bugs : https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/some-prores-422-video-preview-files-lost-on-closing...

If anyone has any info to help avoid losing rendered files let me know.

The files are in my project folder on an internal fast NVMe drive.

Media Cache is on a different internal NVMe drive as well. (Not System C:)

Appreciate any info as I have radio silence from Adobe.

The problem occurs on my older separate Intel 9900K machine as well. Similar setup.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Release of update 24.1 I have been losing render files gonig from green to yellow after restarting. This last time when I came back to the computer premiere lost the pathway to the original location of source files and when I reconnected the video clips the render files have not come back.  

Windows 10 64-bit
Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Ultra Intel
LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard
Intel I9-10900K CPU@3.70GHz
RAM 16GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
& NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing but ..... I am convinced this is a bug to do with database of rendered files getting corrupted/shifted after close down and start up.

Eveything is fine when live in memory but close down project and start up loses all thoses indexes ?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it was just the new version once I re-rendered the files they stayed. I think some updates came in and I lost the previous renders. Seem the new versions start new with new saved project identity. 

Windows 10 64-bit
Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Ultra Intel
LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard
Intel I9-10900K CPU@3.70GHz
RAM 16GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
& NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw this on a related post - someone was contacted by Adobe to say Engineering have confirmed there is an issue and will be fixed next Oct - major release ! ...we can only hope

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/bug-use-previews-doesn-t-use-previews/idc-p/1434422...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm losing renders whilst still working on the project - No closing the software or computer.  I have a title sequence which requires some rendering.  I can render it, watch the timeline and stop ten minutes in to edit something and then the redner is gone.
No external drives, all internal NVMe M.2.  Each drive is a physical 1TB M.2

C: NVMe M. 2 = Windows System and Software
P: NVMe M.2 = Project files, music, photoshop docs
V: NVMe M.2 = Video files

W: NVMe M.2 = More video files

R: NVMe M.2 = Renders
X: NVMe M.2 = Cache Disk

I really wish Adobe would make a stable piece of software, where all the bread and butter features work without fail, before they mess around with bells that most people neither want nor need.  Especially since they moved to subscription.  All my life pains are caused by Adobe software.

Simon - Yes My Lord Ltd.
Professional Freelance Editor of UK Television Programmes.
And owner of B2B Creative Agency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines