I can't add the Loupdeck+ inside Premiere Pro v14 or 13
I'm running Windows 10 and have tried to install and uninstall.
And also removing firewall.
Anyone knowing why it's not showing up ?
I work with a Tangent Elements panel, not a LoupeDeck. Interesting tool from looking at them.
I'm presuming you have the LoupeDeck software installed and running prior to starting Premiere?
I had the same problem, but when I used Premiere v14.0/CC2020. it was there and I could choose it. It's now confirmed working in PP CC2020.
I had the same problems after upgrading to Premiere 2020 (mac).
To resolve I found the plugin in version 19:
Applications/Premiere Pro CC 2019 (you might have to secondary click and select show package contents)/Plug-Ins/Control Surfaces/
and paste plugin in the new version:
Applications/Premiere Pro CC 2020 (you might have to secondary click and select show package contents)/Plug-Ins/Control Surfaces/
If the plugins are missing you can also find them below, to install them please unpack the contents to their respective folders.
I hope it helps. 😉
Is anyone else having an issue with Mac Catalina and Premiere 2020? I've installed past versions of Premiere, tried past versions of Loupedeck software, even pasting Bundles files into my Plugins folder - it will not budge except for the forward/reverse shuffles.
Tried Loupedeck+ on an older iMac with CC2018 and it works perfectly, but no dice on a current spec iMac Pro.
I am having same probelem with adobe upgraded to PP CC2020 to 2021 and using Catalina it was working nice in PP CC2020 but in 2021 not showin in control surface help me please
There's a reply a couple up from your post that lists how to post the plugin in a different folder.
Have you tried that?
I have noticed the same issue once I upgraded PP2020 to 2021. I used to be able to choose Loupdesk+ in Contol Panel, but once I've upgraded to PP2021, I can only see: EUCON, Mackie, Tangent in lhe list. I have Windows 10 20H2.
Same here. upgraded PP2020 to 2021. And the link from the dropbox dont work.
I just dealt with this issue, and following the steps listed on their website wasn't sufficient in solving the matter. So I decided to do a full uninstall of the software. After reinstalling it works good as new!
The uninstall instructions for Windows and macOS can be found in the FAQ section in the link below. For macOS users it does require an extra step beyond just moving the Application to the trash bin, so please make sure you read the instructions carefully.
Hope this helps!