• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low CPU Usage causing very long export times

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been having very long export times tied to low CPU Usage while rendering videos and I'm unsure as to why. I tried exporting a 2.5 hour podcast and the export took upwards of 7 hours. In a similar vein, creating a low res proxy of a 1 hour file took 3.5+ hours.

My system is an Acer Nitro 5 laptop, i7 9750h CPU and RTX 2060 GPU. CPU Usage while rendering has been floating between 15-26% and GPU usage floats from 13-25% usage for the most part. I feel like something is wrong with this and that especially my CPU usage should be higher (GPU usage I'm not concerned about here). This laptop is <2 months old (got it for Christmas in December), and my old ASUS laptop with a weaker/older CPU was able to render the podcast (older episodes of around the same length) in the 2-3 hour timeframe I expected for this laptop and never had issues with low CPU usage while rendering.

The timeline for the podcast has a bunch of still images/text files and the podcast video was recorded in mp4 with VFR (I realized after some research this doesn't help - but it hasn't caused issues for the months prior). I'm exporting with h.264 at 1080p60fps, Software Encoding (tried Hardware Encoding earlier today but didnt seem to make a difference?), VBR 1 pass Target 10mbps Max 12mbps, AAC 320kbps, 48kHz, Stereo.

My only potential lead is that the CPU is potentially overheating? Using NitroSense, the CPU temp has peaked at 96 degrees C while rendering this project, floating between 85-96 degrees for the most part. Although I have read that those temperatures are normal for this laptop, so I don't know if it has much weight.

I've been digging through forums for a while trying to find a solution and the only solution I've found is to convert to the file using handbrake. While it works, I want to see if there is an alternative solution that doesn't require file conversion, or just the knowledge that this is a hardware/software bottleneck.

While converting with handbrake my overall CPU usage goes up to 90-100%, and rendering with the handbrake file takes export times down to the ~2 hours I expected for the podcast with 70%+ CPU usage on average.

If there's any more information that could be useful let me know - I'm not really an expert when it comes to codecs and the sort. I just screen record videos and put them together for Youtube for the most part and am confused as to why my cpu usage has suddenly capped around 25% while exporting.

TOPICS
Export , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Try using Quick Sync if  Nvenc is not working. The video below demonstrates this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Quick Sync if  Nvenc is not working. The video below demonstrates this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seemingly remember watching that video from anotehr forum post before making this post and not getting anything out of it, but watching it and testing it again this morning I seem to have fixed my issue. Disabling hardware accelerated decoding entirely is letting my CPU render a 50 second clip from the podcast in ~1 min, whereas with Nvidia or Intel enabled it would take ~5 mins. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Something is not right but you have to use what works best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines