• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low Usage of CPU and GPU

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already downgrated versions, did update on all my drivers and when it comes to rendering a 2 hour long video, it takes like 6 hours+?

I use a Ryzen 9 3900x, RTX 3070 and 32 GB RAM.
Something isnt right.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is this H.264 source and H.264 export? Or are other formats involved? Where do the source files originate? Have you updated your video drivers lately? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What effects do you use in that video? Any Warp Stabilizer, video noise reduction, major color work or speed ramping?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its just raw footage, nothing else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming your sources are h264 / h265 .. 

1) Do you have VFR footage on a timeline? Use MediInfo tool to check. It's highly recommended to transcode such clips to CFR before editing. Tools people use: Handbrake, Avidemux, ffmpeg, nvencc, or even build-in Windows editor
2) Try to turn off Hardware accelerated DEcoding in Preferences > Media... It's recommended to clean media cache each time you change this settings, and after any app update as well. Close PP and manually clean media cache (goto %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common and clean/delete folders: Media Cache, Media Cache Files, PTX, Peak Files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already cleaned the cache many times, i don't think that is this. 
I'll try Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people have mentioned turing off Nvenc for encoding and decoding helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already cleaned the cache many times, i don't think that is this.

Have you done it manually, as suggested? All the 4 folders, as suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downgraded to every version I could find. This last 3 hours I was testing render after render, 14.4 used 50% of CPU and 60% of GPU. 
I think that should be enough for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would still be nice to know what media you were working with. Different media presents different issues for exporting. 6k RED 8k very different from say 4k H264. They need really different things.

And some systems that struggle with the RED do fine with H.264. And vice versa.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, just simple 1080p h.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Simple" and H.264 are not contemporaries. H.264 is one of the nastiest editing codecs ever conceived. Cameras have special chips to encode it to small files fast. But for editing, it's a ton of work and realistically requires the right computer bits to do so 'easily'.

On many machines, 4k RED is vastly easier to playback than 1080 H.264.

Some of the newer CPUs and mobos are actually getting the specialized bits to do H.264 processing like what the cameras have, and if you have one, it's a major help.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, it was a downloaded vod from Twitch via Twitch Leecer, about 9h long.
Don't know if the compression is messed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, it was a downloaded vod from Twitch via Twitch Leecer, about 9h long.

So it's VFR-issue then, and solution was already suggested ... and ignored, seemingly. Nice.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/low-usage-of-cpu-and-gpu/m-p/11850237#M331092

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution didn't work. The only thing that worked was downgrading the software version. This has nothing to do with de cache files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You  rather inconsistent in your claims, it started as:

- Already downgrated versions, did update on all my drivers and when it comes to rendering a 2 hour long video, it takes like 6 hours+? I use a Ryzen 9 3900x, RTX 3070 and 32 GB RAM.  Something isnt right.

Then it turned into:

- Oh, it was a downloaded vod from Twitch via Twitch Leecer, about 9h long.

And now you said:

- The only thing that worked was downgrading the software version.

So, where is the truth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very simple.

Downgraded the versions, none of them worked, alright. I downloaded the 9h long vod and cuted to 2h to make it a new render. After making the post, I looked up if somebody was having the same issue and they recommended the 14.4 version.

Sorry if I bothered you somehow. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just chiming in to say I love this phrase used by Neil and I hope anyone editing video regardless of what you're using (Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Media Composer):

"H.264 is one of the nastiest editing codecs ever conceived."

The thing is that H264 is a delivery CODEC.  It's not an editing CODEC - even if it's what your camera records.

Switch to using any of the CODECs that support Smart Rendering in Premiere Pro and watch the magic.

FAQ: What is Smart Rendering?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-what-is-smart-rendering/m-p/10648488

That said, editing H264 on a base model Apple M1 Mac mini is astonishingly fluid - even with Premiere Pro running under emulation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my experience so far and the posts that I monitor, 14.3 was the last stable version of Premiere that didn't suck up time for rendering and essentially double or quadruple some people's renders. If you can downgrade to that it might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just bizarre. My renders in 14.9 "public" and 15.x public beta scream on my 24-core Ryzen rig with 128GB of RAM and a 2080Ti.

There's another person here with an almost identical rig ... who's getting render speeds probably less than half of what I'm getting with similar media.

What the ... ? ... is causing such massive disparities?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines