• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lumetri bug - exposure going haywire

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a brand new iMac Pro with the latest Premiere update on it (13.0.2).

I'm encountering a very strange issue that makes color correction in Premiere all but impossible. As I go through my timeline correcting the exposure on my clips, I will go back to a previously corrected clip only to find that the exposure has inexplicably changed - usually with the blacks either higher or more crushed.

Example 1.png

Example 2.png

The parameters have not changed at all, but the exposure is completely different. This happens at random times and on almost every clip.

The footage was shot with on a Canon C200 with C-log 3. No LUT has been applied.

Has anyone had this problem??

Thanks,

Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you're working on an adjustment layer?

Does this happen if you work directly on a clip?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does happen if I work directly on a clip. I actually switched to an adjustment layer hoping that would solve the problem, but no difference at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A similar issue used to happen on a previous version (CC2017 I think) but I believe it's all been fixed.

Are you certain you are selecting the current clip as you go through your sequence - do you have 'Selection follows Playhead' switched on in the Sequence menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have "Selection Follows Playhead" switched on, and it's definitely the current clip being selected. And I'm not doubling up Lumetri effects either, which I know is an easy thing to accidentally do while working with adjustment layers. This is definitely not a user error problem.

Also, when I encounter this problem, I've found that sometimes I will click on a slider and without changing the value at all, all the levels will instantly change - regardless of which slider I clicked on. On one clip, this created a kind of strobe effect as it played, going back and forth between the correct and crazy levels.

The problem persists on export, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is bizarre behavior and please, report this in detail on the bug/features system linked to on the Overview page of this forum.

List your gear and behavior in detail. That goes immediately to the engineers systems and they do look at all of the submissions though they don't always respond.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just for clarity  ... you have tested with only one GPU enabled, and you have tested in "software only" for Mercury Acceleration in the Project settings?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil for your responses. I have tested "software only", and the problem persists.

I reported this as a bug, so hopefully someone will have a look and have a solution. Unfortunately I have a deadline at the end of the day, and this problem is preventing me from meeting that deadline. No idea what to do. If anyone has any possible solution I would be very grateful!

Thanks,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "legacy" Curves effect may help. There's a reason most of the Obsolete or Legacy effects are there, many have issues but the curves is fine.

Wish there was more I could suggest. If you're on a full CC subscription going over to AfterEffects to color could be possible. Even test Lumetri applied in Ae, or one of the numerous other color effects there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'll try that. And yes, maybe After Effects could be the way to go as well. Thanks Neil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In case anyone else encounters this issue: it seems the problem is with the original video files. Not sure if it's the codec or what, but that seems to be the root of the issue.

The workaround I ended up using was to export the original sequence at ProRes 422 and reimport it, then correct that file. No issue from then on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines