Highlighted

Lumetri Scopes Not Working in Premiere 2018

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open the lumetri sciopes panel in Premiere Pro CC 2018, the panel is all white, no scopes, no dark UI background color, nothing but the tab label at the top, and an entirely blank white field.

I've got a project due tomorrow, so I took a chance and installed today's update.  It's always risky to update mid project, of course, but since I was dead in the water, anyway, I figured I had nothing to lose.  To my great relief, the scopes worked after the update.  But the effect was extremely temporary.  As soon as I tried to dock the panel, it turned white again.  After numerous restarts and reboots, it has remained that way, whether docked or not.

Anyone have any ideas?  My deadline cannot be extended.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lumetri Scopes Not Working in Premiere 2018

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open the lumetri sciopes panel in Premiere Pro CC 2018, the panel is all white, no scopes, no dark UI background color, nothing but the tab label at the top, and an entirely blank white field.

I've got a project due tomorrow, so I took a chance and installed today's update.  It's always risky to update mid project, of course, but since I was dead in the water, anyway, I figured I had nothing to lose.  To my great relief, the scopes worked after the update.  But the effect was extremely temporary.  As soon as I tried to dock the panel, it turned white again.  After numerous restarts and reboots, it has remained that way, whether docked or not.

Anyone have any ideas?  My deadline cannot be extended.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 05, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With something like this, it might be that going to Windows/Workspaces/Reset to Saved Layout, exit, and launch again ... might help.

Are you opening those in an undocked panel then? If say in the Color Workspace, with the Lumetri scopes available as a tab in the upper-left panel, do they work for you there?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I've reset the workspaces, made new workspaces, etc., countless times.  I've opened the panel docked, opened it undocked, opened it on monitor 1, opened it on monitor 2, every combination I could think of.

After restarting about a gazillion times, I did finally manage to get the scopes to come up (undocked, monitor 1, for whatever that's worth).  I've been doing my work, while hoping and praying Premiere doesn't crash, or need to close for any reason, until I'm done.  I have no reason to believe it will continue to work the next time.

The fact that it's working at this moment seems to be a random occurrence. I did not do anything in particular to make it happen.  It failed plenty of times, with the same configuration.

Any more ideas, shout 'em out.  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2018 0
Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specs on your computer, OS/CPU/RAM/GPU?

Are you using Mercury acceleration (from the projects settings) for CUDA, OpenCL, Metal, or Software Only?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro

4.2 GHz Core i7 Quad

16GB DDR4 (PC2400)

GeForce GTX 660 w/3GB GDDR5

Mercury for CUDA

With the obvious exception of the graphics card, all the components in this machine are only a couple of months old.  I built it in February.  I will be replacing the graphics card in the coming weeks.

In the mean time, while it's tempting to point to the sole older component as the culprit, it's hard to intelligently identify the GPU as the cause of this problem.  Every other panel in Premiere, aside from Lumetri Scopes, works just fine with it, and on the occasions when the Lumetri Scopes panel does load, the scopes themselves work perfectly. (And, of course, there are no issues like this at all in Premiere 2017.)  This GPU handles 4K playback in Premiere with nary so much as a stutter.  8K can be a little choppy, but it manages even that fairly well.  The only thing not working reliably is the 2018 Lumetri Scopes panel.

I could be wrong, but I'd be inclined to believe that if there were some compatibility issue with the graphics card, it would manifest in more ways than just this.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help so far.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a gtx480 and have good Lumetri scopes.

Just guessing here: old card with new components dont communicate that well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible, Ann, but if it's the case, then it does beg the question, why only this particular panel in this particular program.  If it were really a communications issue between components, it would be awfully strange for this one thing to be the ONLY symptom.  I'd likely be seeing all kinds of odd effects, in lots of programs.  But I've had zero issues, other than this.  Everything else works just fine, including all previous versions of Premiere.

This was why I did not initially list system specs, until asked.  It's just too easy to look at the list, and go, "Aha! One of these things is not like the other.  That's got to be it," and then neglect to discuss other possibilities.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a chance and installed today's update.

We get two activations with the subscription.  You should always test new versions on a second system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the general advice, Jim, but I'm sure you'd agree it doesn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Yes, I'm aware that updating mid project is not a good idea.  But as I said, I had no way of moving forward from where I was, so there was nothing to lose by giving it a try.  If worse had come to worst, I could simply have done a system restore, to revert the whole machine right back to the pre-update state.

Not all of us have two systems on hand that are capable of 8K playback.  If you do, then congratulations on your good fortune.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Correct.  It's more of a 20/20 hindsight thing that will prevent you from getting caught up again in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "getting caught up again" in this context, Jim.  If I'm reading you right, you appear to be under the impression the update was the cause of the problem.  It was not.  The ONLY reason I installed it was as an attempt to solve the problem that was already happening (after having exhausting all other potential solutions I could think of.)

It did partially work for that purpose.  Whereas before the update, the scopes wouldn't work at all in Premiere 2018, they now work intermittently, as described.

As I've said three times now, I would never, under normal circumstances, install an update during a project.  But again, as I've said three times now, there was nothing to lose by it in this highly unusual case, only a potential gain.  I ended up with a partial gain, but not yet a fix.

If you've got any suggestions for a fix, please share.  Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was as an attempt to solve the problem that was already happening

That part I missed.  Sorry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ABBloch,

Are you clear of this problem yet? Let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2018 0
Explorer ,
May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no, the problem persists.  I did figure out how to tame it, to the point where the scopes are semi-reliable, but it takes some doing, each time.  Here's the procedure I have to follow:

1.  Start Premiere, with the Lumtri Scopes panel closed.

2.  Open the Lumetri Scopes panel.  The panel will open, but the scopes won't be visible, as described above.  This will be true, regardless of which monitor the panel is on.

3.  Move the Lumetri Scopes panel to the primary monitor, if it's not already there.

4.  Close the Lumtri Scopes panel.

5.  Restart Premiere.

6.  Open the Lumetri Scopes panel.  Now, one of three things will happen:

A.  Premiere will remember to open the window on the primary monitor, and the scopes will work.  This will be the case about 20-30% of the time (once every 3-5 attempts).  The rest of the time, one of the two things below happens.

B.  Premiere will remember to open the window on the primary monitor, but the scopes still won't work.  In this case, try again, beginning with step.4.

C.  Premiere will open the window on the secondary monitor, and the scopes will not work.  In this case, try again, beginning with step 3.

There is no scenario in which the scopes will work if the panel opens on the secondary monitor.  However, in the instances in which the scopes do work on the primary monitor, the panel can then be moved to the secondary monitor, and they'll continue to work until the panel is closed.

The 20-30% success rate is enough that at least I can get my work done (usually).  But needless to say, it's still an unacceptable annoyance.  I do hope the devs can find a permanent fix soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this ever been fixed? I'm having the same situation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on more than one machine. The scopes work in Premiere 2017, but not in 2018. They don't work in either Windows 7, or Windows 10. I either need Adobe to fix this bug, (Yes, it is a bug on your end.) or I need a means to convert a project back to 2017. It works fine. (Conclusively proving the problem is a bug in the new version of the software.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2019 1
Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your GPU? Driver?

This is a very rare issue, almost always related to hardware problems.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having the same issue. If I open up Lumetri Scope the panel is completly empty.

macOs Mojave 10.14.6
2,5 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thank you!

Elena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue. I'm new to Premiere, and just thought it was something basic I was missing. My projects are just for fun, so I've been grading by eye for months, but I'm tired of not having a basic feature of this software that I have fine when I cut in FCP. For me, if I try to open up Lumetri Scope the panel is empty. I've tried restarting, resetting the workspace to default, toggling off and on settings, etc. 

Anyone have any ideas?

mac 0S Mojave
Version 10.14.6
2.5 GHx Intel Core i5
10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

IMG_0776.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HG,

Very sorry to hear about your issues. Is your computer the Apple Mac mini "Core i5" 2.5 (Late 2012)? If so, your Gen 3 CPU and GPU are not meeting system requirements.

Your computer is 8 years old and most editors are forced to update computers to keep up with the software around every 3-5 years. My opinion is that:

• It's time to refresh your hardware. Buy a new computer ASAP.
  • You can also try using footage
    • Transcoded to lighter weight codecs like ProRes LT.
    • Changed to a smaller frame size, like 720P

I have a MacBook Pro that is a bit better spec'd out than this mini, but compromising time and drive space to work around a number of processes is what I have to do to continue working.

Hope the advice helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elena,
I believe your computer is too old and underpowered for everything to function properly. Sorry. This is a legacy post. Let us know if you still need help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin! I'll finish this project by eye, and then I guess I'll switch back to Final Cut for future projects until I can get together $1200 for a new macbook. Still, I genuinely appreciate the quick answer!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0