• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac vs PC for college level Video Production.

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are a Mac family. My daughter is starting college and her passion is video production. She says PCs run Premier more efficiently. Any advice for what kind of system is best for an entry level, but solid, computer for a college student getting into Video Production?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Big, fast SSD

2. Good graphics card of the most recent generation

3. Fast processor. Pick speed over cores.

4. Prefer 4k monitor, but big 1080 will work. She will need a good amount of screen real estate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. So no preference btw Mac Vs PC? PCs seem more upgradable and less expensive. Any advice or pros/cons of each?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My family was almost completely on Apple devices: phones, streaming, tablets, computers. Even I had an iPhone and an iPad. My big desktop PC was the lone holdout. I finally ditched it because...Microsoft. So now I have a MacBook Pro that is powerful, quiet and portable. I'm very happy I made the switch, although it hasn't been without a few file format conversion bumps.

If your family is all Apple, then I recommend sticking with Apple devices. However, you will get more bang for your buck buying a Windows PC. I haven't noticed any significant efficiency differences running Pr on a powerful PC and on a powerful Mac. Either is perfectly splendid for running Pr. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This includes 2 recommendation links from Puget Systems... copied from Peru Bob
https://community.adobe.com/t5/video-hardware/premiere-pro-hardware-articles-to-read-before-you-buy-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jeff, that if you are used to Macs - then stay. Though I've found no real differences between running Premiere Pro on a Mac or PC. I do prefer Macs and know them better for any problem solving. And I have have had what seems like fewer issues on Mac (though accept I may be biased). The PC environment I work in (lots of edit suites) has a staff of 3 to maintain the edit PCs. Prior to switching to Premiere Pro it was an all Mac environment with 1 support person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've worked on both pretty extensively throughout my career. I'd say the majority of production companies and agencies were all on Macs, but I've been working for a game studio for almost the last two years and that has all been PC. For my home machine I built I went PC just because I could get a lot more power for the money. I like them both. As far as operating Premiere specifically I wouldn't favor one over the other. The one thing I would say is that I don't know if there are still some compatibility concerns with the new Mac chips and OS. At least for a while it seemed like that was an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines