Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook pro 16 and Metal acceleration

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I bought new macbook pro 16inch with i7 and AMD 5300M GPU...problem is that Metal acceleration is much slower then OpenCL, and i see that my GPU is not even supported on GPU list from adobe? how is that even possible? I am so confused, macbook pro 16 is relesed one year ago!! 
also, support on adobe call told me that won't be supported in future? so i need to buy older macbook pro 15 - 2018 to work Metal in premiere?

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's why:

Adobe spent too much of its resources on Microsoft and Nvidia that it had little resources remaining for Apple and AMD. In fact, Adobe has not updated its OpenCL or Metal API support since 2017, when the 12.x (CC 2018) version of Premiere Pro was released.

And part of the reason why Adobe has not bothered to update its Metal GPU acceleration support is that Apple itself is transitioning from the x86-64 CPU architecture to its own proprietary ARM CPU architecture in all newly-designed Macs, beginning with the complete revamp of its MacBook Air for late 2020 and some versions of the 13-inch MacBook Pro (all of which are already being shipped right now), plus the major overhaul of the macOS itself with Big Sur (which neither Adobe nor Avid has fully certified as compatible with their programs). The remainder of Apple's mobile computer systems will follow some time next year, and Apple desktops will eventually follow at some unknown future date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a follow-up, someone who posted results in the Puget Systems database ran the newest PugetBench for Premiere Pro on two of the new ARM-based MacBooks - two MacBook Airs (one with 8 GB, the other with 16 GB) and a 13" MacBook Pro, both equipped with a PCI-e interface SSD.

The results of those low-end ARM MacBooks were promising. As it currently stands, they provided roughly the same level of performance as the average 3- to 4-year-old Windows desktop PC build (such as my mini-ITX breadbox system did when it was running an Intel i7-7700 CPU and a GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB card), and substantially better than the MacBook models that they directly replaced (which were bogged down heavily by their outdated integrated tweaked-over-and-over-again Skylake-era Intel Iris Plus Graphics).

To be more specific, the 8 GB MacBook Air scored slightly below that of its 16 GB product mate, which in turn scored slightly below the pricier MacBook Pro with the same amount of RAM. With overall standard-preset PugetBench scores within the lower half of the 300s, that's double to triple the overall Standard-preset score of their immediate predecessors.

We will need to see more testing and test results before we can recommend them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines