Highlighted

Major video and audio playback issues (even with recommended computer specs!)

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

Bit stuck here. I'm editing a simple 4 minute video (with the intention of adding effects/colour grading etc later), and am having some major playback problems. Choppy frames, video stopping, video skipping, audio cutting out etc. To be clear, thejre are literally no effects on the clips yet, but I'm still having major problems. Footage is HD 1920 × 1080, and according to the premiere pro system requirements my computer is the recommended amount. 

Computer specs:

3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

16GB RAM

Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Solutions I've tried:

- bought a new computer!!!!!!!!! My previous mac had an incompatible RAM, VRAM, graphics card, hard drive you name it. My new mac in theory has all the suggested requirements and the playback is only marginally faster. 

- Rendering the frames (seems to have made it more choppy)

- changing the renderer to GPU accelaration

- switching audio input to 'no input' (apparantly that cause problems for some)

- clearing caches, but as this is a brand new computer (unboxed today!) I doubt its that

Please help!!

TOPICS
Audio, Editing, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Major video and audio playback issues (even with recommended computer specs!)

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

Bit stuck here. I'm editing a simple 4 minute video (with the intention of adding effects/colour grading etc later), and am having some major playback problems. Choppy frames, video stopping, video skipping, audio cutting out etc. To be clear, thejre are literally no effects on the clips yet, but I'm still having major problems. Footage is HD 1920 × 1080, and according to the premiere pro system requirements my computer is the recommended amount. 

Computer specs:

3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

16GB RAM

Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Solutions I've tried:

- bought a new computer!!!!!!!!! My previous mac had an incompatible RAM, VRAM, graphics card, hard drive you name it. My new mac in theory has all the suggested requirements and the playback is only marginally faster. 

- Rendering the frames (seems to have made it more choppy)

- changing the renderer to GPU accelaration

- switching audio input to 'no input' (apparantly that cause problems for some)

- clearing caches, but as this is a brand new computer (unboxed today!) I doubt its that

Please help!!

TOPICS
Audio, Editing, Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 22, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lila,

Sorry for the issue. Hearing a bunch of not great things about the current version of macOS.

In that case, there's not much we can do other than optimize the system and media. In the spirit, I have two questions:

• What kind of RAID or SSD is your media playing off?
    • Please do not play media off the OS drive.
    • A second drive with a high speed connection is the proper configuration for your NLE.
  • What kind of media are you editing with? Is it H.264. If so:
    • Using an underpowered CPU? Appears you are.
    • Cutting H.264 or HEVC? Likely
    • If so, you must transcode or use proxies for proper handling of files.

Please try these things.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
Lila13 LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the in depth reply! I have a few questions if that's okay? I'm still learning the ins and outs of this software and what specs actually work for it.

- My mac has the 1TB Fusion Drive, so my media is playing from that. I currently have 850 GB free on that - you still think I need an external hard drive with a high speed connection? Is it better in general to have files I am currently working on on a different drive? Is there a reason I shouldn't be working off the OS Drive?
- My CPU has a turbo boost up to 4.1ghz, so I think that should be fine?
- My media files are MOV - should I be converting them to H.264/HEVC before editing them on premier pro? - Are proxies the standard when working with only HD media? My old mac had trouble processing/creating them, so I havnt been able to try that method as of yet. 

Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If the file is variable frame rate, which although Adobe says it will support, many users are having issues with VFR.

Use Hand brake to convert to constant frame rate:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Here is a tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0