• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make Subclip from sequence is greyed out!?

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a sequence with clips from an interview.  One layer of video and 2 audio.  I've marked the best bits and added comments to the markers and now I want to export these sections as subclips.  I ctrl click the sequence in the project panel and "Open in Source Monitor".  In the source monitor I mark an In/Out.  Either by using the menu - Clip/Make Subclip - or by using the shortcut cmd U, nothing happens, the option is greyed out in the menu.

Things I've tried:  I can make a subsequence, but not a subclip.  Track targeting is on.  The selections are linked on the sequence.  I can make a subclip from a master clip.  Making a new project with only one clip and one sequence still does not work.

I've watched a great tutorial on Lynda.com where the trainer does this so I know it's possible!  Any ideas?

Mac 2013, 32GB RAM, PP CC12.1.2, media MXF from Sony F7

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Hey man you probably already figured this out but I just read this and saw all these random no advice people. I had the greyed out make subclip button. The problem is that I was working off proxies. I just reconnected my hardrive which has all the full sized files, original media, and the make sublicp buotton popped right back on. Make sure premiere can access the original media. Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

did you manage to solve the issue?

Have the same here.

Sascha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subclips are made by double-clicking a clip in a bin to bring it up on the Source monitor, not from a timeline/sequence.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I am fully aware of that.

And that is exactly, where the option "Make Subclip" is greyed out.

Unless I manually unlink all clips to offline and re-link them anew.

Then it strangely enough works.

Sascha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been making subclips from my sequences ever since using Premiere.  My option is no greyed out too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to make what is called a subsequence.  Shift+U

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorting out terminology and where X is X and where it becomes Y instead is a kick. Subclips are typically made from a clip loaded into the Source monitor. And subsequences from media on a timeline.

Which seem similar in most ways, though a subclip can only have media from one clip, while a subsequence can of course include media from several original clips.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd try closing the project and Premiere. Open Premiere WITHOUT opening a project, go too Preferences and delete everything in the cache/cache database files. Relaunch Premiere and see if it's working right.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot make a subclip from a sequence only as the feature says: clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

I am fully aware of and that was not my question.

Best,

Sascha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man you probably already figured this out but I just read this and saw all these random no advice people. I had the greyed out make subclip button. The problem is that I was working off proxies. I just reconnected my hardrive which has all the full sized files, original media, and the make sublicp buotton popped right back on. Make sure premiere can access the original media. Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Signed in to say thanks!  This was the problem I was having and your solution fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Glad someone had the right answer here. Insane that this functionality is lacking while using proxies imo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Walter, quick question, I think my problem is that I am unable to make a subclip because I'm using the audio from another clip. Any suggestions for that 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines