• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Marquee tool aspect ratio doesn't match same aspect ratio of an object. Why?

Contributor ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example...I import a jpeg photo into photoshop with a 3x4 aspect ratio (900x1200).

I use the rectangular marquee tool to draw a frame box around the photo, set to fixed 3x4 aspect ratio.

I would expect the box to be the same aspect as image.  But it is always taller...by about 10%.  Very visible.

When I check the info on each object...the pixel count indicate they are both 3x4.  But they don't match up.

Can anyone explain this frustrating problem?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Apologies....I just realized I posted in the wrong group.  This is a Photoshop question not Premiere.  Argh.  I reposted it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check out the attached screen shot.  You see a 3x4 photo, with a 3x4 black box behind it.  Yet the black box is taller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some pixel aspect ratio (PAR) setting on that sequence?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is what you are referring to...When I select the rectangular marquee tool I select a fixed 3x4 ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sequence settings ... what's the PAR/pixel aspect ratio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

generally in modern times, set the sequence pixel aspect ratio to square unless you're dealing with a legacy format like dv or d1 or hdv and even then it probably makes sense to set the sequence par to square.  Premiere usually does a good job in adjusting clips with non square pixel aspect ratio to display properly when edited into a sequence with square pixels.   Happy to explain what this is all about, but do you really need to know?  Not being snarky, just an ugly legacy of older formats that I had to learn back in the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies....I just realized I posted in the wrong group.  This is a Photoshop question not Premiere.  Argh.  I reposted it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines