• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask Area Extends Beyond the Lines

Participant ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,   When using an circular opacity mask,  the area of the image that is visible extends beyond the drawn circle boarders.  I adjusted feathering but it's not that.  The visible area is oval whereas the mask is circular.  The visible area also extends to one side like a shadow.   

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this would be much appreciated.

thank you 

Tim

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

by any chance is your source pixel aspect ratio non square and your sequence pixel source aspect ratio square or vice versa.  square pixel aspect ratio = 1. 

please tell us this clips properties and do these properties differ from the clips that are behaving properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your description sounds accurate, but a screen grab of the timeline, the program monitor for a frame with the mask selected in the opacity controls (so it's visible in the program monitor)  and the opacity effects controls might be helpful. Also, have you tried to render the area in the timeline and if so, does the problem persist?   And although I have no idea why it might be pertinent, always handy to tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and your source properties and sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help us with a screenshot of the Program and Effects Control panels especially, so we can try to help you better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot as requested.

timh82449064_0-1609559117440.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you zoom in on the timeline to just show the shot in question?  and make it clear which shot is selected.   Try and show us what we need to see to understand what you're trying to do...  I can't see what shot is selected.  And might be useful to turn the mask off and show us what things look like in another screen shot.   It's not easy trying to diagnose what's going on from a distance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say "The visible area is oval whereas the mask is circular."  What we're seeing is that the mask is oval (the blue outline indicates the mask area when the mask is selected in the opacity controls) and the visible are is circular unless I'm having a senior moment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, when we maximize we can't see anything, so the screenshot is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

further info,  hopefully this helps clarify things.  The problem doesn't happen on some of the other clips.  Thanks for your help with this.   

timh82449064_1-1609570882777.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is how the mask should look if it's working properly

timh82449064_0-1609571908384.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by any chance is your source pixel aspect ratio non square and your sequence pixel source aspect ratio square or vice versa.  square pixel aspect ratio = 1. 

please tell us this clips properties and do these properties differ from the clips that are behaving properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went into the sequence settings and changed the aspect ration to square pixels.  That has solved the problem. Not sure how it came to be non-square, but the issue is now resolved.  

thanks for your help !

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

man I am good...  just kidding (kind of).  But it's an example of why it's not easy diagnosing stuff from a distance.  The written word is not always the most effective means of communication and sometimes it just takes a while til you've eliminated what seems the more obvious causes.   I've been doing this a really long time starting with Avid, and moving to FinalcutPro1-7 and finally finding a home in Adobe land.  FCP usually handled the issues of pixel aspect ratio but if you weren't paying attention things could go seriously south.    Besides editing I also provide support to a number of editors and boy could they sometimes dug themselves (and me) a very deep hole so I had to learn about this issue in particular in depth...

I breathed a sigh of relief when most stuff moved to square pixel formats... but those years of experience were what finally paid off in this case.

Happy New Year everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sweet! Good call. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines