• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking doesn't work right anymore! HELP please!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I'm experiencing a very weird problem. When I draw a mask, with the pen tool on a clip (to create a simple walk by transition) the mask that I drew doesn't match with the actual area that is being masked by the program. It's impossible for me to mask the area that I want in this way! I don't understand why this is happening! any sort of help would be super appreciated.

problem with mask.jpg

As you can see there's this weird gap between the mask area that I drew and the actual masked area. This is becoming a nightmare! I'm using the latest Premiere Pro 2018 verison.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Nope. That was the problem. So sorry guys.
The clip was 1920 x 1080 but, for whatever reason, the adjustment layer was set at 1440 x 1080 by default. I hit 'scale to frame' on the adjustment layer and the masked area popped back to where it should be.
Thank you so so much. Really sorry to bug you guys with such a rookie mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered the same (or very similar) problem. The masked area is offset and distorted from the actual path I drew. Did you ever figure out how to fix this?

Other masks are working just fine. I'm guessing it would work if I were to start over, but I'd really like to avoid completely redoing mine because it's a rather complex shot and took about an hour to keyframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which property/effect is used for the mask?

Any other effects applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an opacity mask on an adjustment layer with one instance of Lumetri Color.
In the screenshot below, I've decreased exposure on the color adjustment in order to more clearly show where the affected area appears. It's inexplicably offset from the shape I've drawn. This is the case with every frame. The camera rotation and distance change rapidly in this shot which made the key-framing rather tedious so starting over is definitely a last resort.
Screen Shot.png

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any resizing or scaling involved in this clip?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the Adjustment layer, media clip and sequence all the same resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. That was the problem. So sorry guys.
The clip was 1920 x 1080 but, for whatever reason, the adjustment layer was set at 1440 x 1080 by default. I hit 'scale to frame' on the adjustment layer and the masked area popped back to where it should be.
Thank you so so much. Really sorry to bug you guys with such a rookie mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating an adjustment layer that is the same resolution as your sequence.  This can easily be achieved by selecting File>New>Adjustment Layer while your current sequence is in focus.  1440x1080 sounds like you might have had some HDV preset with non-square pixels selected at some point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem. I've got a clip on top of a freezed frame, and the clip has an opacity mask. The area of the blue lines (the mask) and the area the mask is actually affecting seems to be quite different. The clip, the picture (exported frame/freezed frame), and the sequence is in 1920x1080 and has an pixel aspect ratio of 1. I've tried hitting 'scale to frame' on the clip and the picture just in case, but with no luck.

Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It randomly worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still haven't found a solution, as the exact same thing is happening to me, except I'm not even using an adjustment layer, I'm putting the mask right on the clip. I tried copying the mask to an adjustment layer instead and it still did it, even with the resolution set properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. Did you ever find a solution to your error? I'm also just applying a mask directly to a clip (no adjustment layer) and the mask is the wrong shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out what was my problem at least. I don't think premiere likes masking and changing of speed in a clip. So I think you have to nest the clip before you add a mask. Worked for me anyways 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you're changing speed/ramping/whatever and applying a mask, you need to nest the clip after whichever you do firts. It somehow separates the order of processing so Premiere gets it right.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a frickin' saint!! Really! I've been experiencing this problem since quite a while and you finally gave me the solution. After I nested my clip and redid the mask everything worked just fine. Thank you very much, I haven't found an answer to this anywhere else. Thank you very very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trying this out! This has been a major problem. Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines