Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masking

New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 3 questions about masking in CC.

I create a mask and move it around using the mouse to follow the moving image from frame to frame. But using the mouse is a very crude tool. Sometimes I need to be able to move the mask or move one dot on the mask by say 0.2 millimeters, or a few pixels. This is very difficult to do accurately using the mouse. Is there any other way of moving the mask or moving a dot more accurately?

Second question. Is there a way to transfer the masking data from one key-frame to another?

Third question. Sometimes I end up with so many dots on the mask that it becomes impossibe to use. Is ther a way to delete unwanted dots?

I'm sorry if "dot" is not the right word. I mean when you click on the line of the mask and it makes a dot and you can then move the dot to shift the mask line.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a mask in the premiere instead of moving the mask manually you can use the mask track option from the effects control. look at the following video by adobe on Premiere pro masking - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aytWESZQUzc

Second question. Is there a way to transfer the masking data from one keyframe to another?

You can copy-paste the keyframes from one point of time to another point time using the effects controls.

Third question. Sometimes I end up with so many dots on the mask that it becomes impossible to use. Is ther a way to delete unwanted dots?

Hold down CTRL or CMD key to remove the unwanted dots from the mask.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer. But there is one thing I am not clear on and that video doesn't seem to cover it. When the shape of the mask changes a lot so it isn't possible to use auto-tracking, so you have to move the mask manualy, how do you move the position of the mask spatialy on one frame (not from frame to frame) up or down or side to side WITHOUT using the mouse. In other words how do you move the mask say 14 pixels upwards without using the mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do so by selecting all the anchor points of mask and then use the shortcut shift+arrow keys to move the mask in program monitor without using the mouse. 

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You could zoom in. That might help. Go to the drop down menu below where you can see your sequence.

Zoom in Premiere Pro.png

2.  The small grey dot in the red box with create a key frame of the current value. When animating the mask path for the first time, you shouldn't have any changes so it should be fine. But when editing it later, it can be more inconvienient. You can also copy and paste keyframes.

Mask Keyframing.png

3. Control or Command click on a point in a mask to remove it.

Hope this helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines