• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Massive slow-down when inputting lots of text into Essential Graphics rolling title

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're working with a client to put together a large list of names in a rolling credits over a simple JPEG image. The list of names, coming from a 17 page word doc, has been inserted into Premiere's essential graphics system. With such a long document, the program becomes highly unstable and largely unusable when making minor changes to formatting and placement of text.

Does anyone have any experience getting the program to pick up the speed a bit when working with such a large amount of text in Essential Graphics? This seems like it should be a simple thing to render easily while remaining editable, but I'm looking at delays of around 5-6 seconds after a single click on a character, thus making any changes to a document this size a monumental waste of time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My hardware is as follows:
iMac Pro (2017)

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

Memory: 32 GB 2666 DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
42 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the hard drive etups (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a 1TB SSD that came with the iMac, as well as a 4TB G-Drive connected via USB3.0, neither of which are past 50% capacity.

I just moved the project off the 4TB onto my 1TB SSD and it didn't seem to accelerate the program at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this exact same problem for every video - I like to do a credit roll at the end of a video with the names of each of the 2000 Patreons we have.  Once I put in the credits Premiere Pro becomes so laggy it's completely unusable.  This problem has followed me across several computers - currently on a AMD 3900xt 32GB ram and NVidia 2070 Super, all storage NVME.  The computer is fast as heck; this is just ridiculous.  How is it that almost no one else is complaining about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ScribbleJAgreed - we've had more videos that we have produced lately that have required a large credit scroll and Premiere has been absolutely awful to work in once we input a large amount of text. I've heard that it gets easier to use if you use the Legacy Title editor but I haven't tapped into it. To speed things up on my end, I do all of my title and design work for the credits in Illustrator then copy them into Premiere. If I need to make changes, I have been completely deleting the Premiere layer and recopying any changes made in Illustrator.

Let me know if you have any luck potentially using the Legacy Title editor - it's a little ironic that the old system apparently works way better but it is what it is. A bit disappointed that I haven't had any further follow up on this issue but thanks for bring it back up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gotta say I always build my title roll in photoshop and then bring the psd file into premiere and keyframe the motion.  You'll often have to adjust the speed of the roll so the movement is smooth, but not a heavy load for the system to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing these for long enough that the legacy title editor was the only option when I started and it's also a bother to use but I love the tip about doing it in Illustrator or Photoshop like mgrenadier says below.  I'll try either or both of those next time!  Thank you so much for the reply and ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea; I'l try that next time - thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too, anytime I add any text in Premiere. Whether that's a new text box, subtitles, etc. Make one change, literally change a character or shorten the length of the title in the sequence for instance, and I have to wait for the rainbow spinny wheel, save it, and wait again. It's slowing down my workflow immensely and has been happening with multiple projects since I first noticed it in the fall of 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be smarter to start a new thread. If you start a new thread.  Post here with a link to the new thread.  but minimally, please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and source properties and sequence settings.   You say you've started noticing this in the fall of 2020.  Had you done an premiere update recently?  Were you working on a project started in an earlier version of premiere?   Are you still working in the same version of Premiere?  You might try creating a new premiere project and importing the project you were working on rather than actually opening it.

Lots more questions to ask, but let's get your system info first...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me as well,  adding a somewhat long credit roll to a film and it's gotten frustratingly unusable. Literally writing this as the program tries to calculate me adding a SPACE . Addding a word via copy-paste took (i timed) about 4 and a half min. I mean it's not some crazy motion effect, and is a actually neat feature in theory, but currently unusable.

Using:

Dell G5 15 se

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.90 Ghz
RAM: 16G

Thanks for the workarounds suggested here, but here's hoping that this feature can be addressed by adobe

Premiere v15.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you haven't told us what graphics card you have in your system and your source properties and sequence settings.  Post back if you need help learning how to find out this info

https://helpx.adobe.com/nl/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

If things were working properly in an earlier version of Premiere, revert to that version.  Software updates usually make greater demands on your system hardware and it's unlikely that a future update will reduce the hardware requirements.

16 gigs is not a lot of RAM particularly if you're working with 4k or higher material.  

And as I said in an earlier post, consider building your credit roll in photoshop and then importing it into premiere and animating it in premiere.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue as well on various projects.

Imac 2017

Pr 15.2.0 

Mac Os 10.14.4

4.2ghz i7

16gb 2400 mhz DDr4

Radeon Pro 580 8 gb

Just putting together a moderate feature film credit list in essential graphics. Set up as much as I could in text editor and then migrated to Pr.

trying to change placement using tab and spacebar and replacing text is basically agony. 

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workarounds are sometimes the best short term solution.

I'd try building the title roll in photoshop as a single image and animating it in either premiere or after effects.  Works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm right here with you in 2022.  I've got a massive credit roll with images etc but only a few minutes total, and a render seems like it will take multiple hours.  

That's prohibitively long, so I think I'll bite the bullet and remake it in Photoshop.  Don't know why Premiere is so painfully slow with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have RTX 3090 + ryzen 5900x SSD 32 RAM

Why Adobe cannt fix it so many years? Here in 2022 problem remains both in CUDA render and Software render

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is a pretty amazing program and can handle almost anything you throw at it, but in order to make it so comprehensive, they may have needed to make some decisions which limit the performance in certain areas...  If you have access to photoshop or illustrator, you might try prebuilding the title roll there...  and if you do, you can quickly open the title doc in photoshop or illustrator and make changes and do a save and the clip is instantly updated in Premiere, although you will probably need to rerender. 

This is mainly a forum for users... although adobe employess sometimes monitor this board,

You might also report a bug or do a feature request.  

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

And you might consider trying something like Blackmagic Davinici Resolve.  There is a free version that has some limitations and the full version is a single payment of $300, I think.  No where near as good an editing program as Premiere in my opinion, and have no idea if it handles title rolls but I do know in some areas it's performance is much better than Premiere...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for response, work in Premiere is much convinient for me, then using several programms in which I need learn how to make same task. Main problem that Old type of titles work perfect (that type that they plan to delete at end of 2022), I already on email with Adobe Team, after posting at "Wishform", hope that they will solve it, cause working in Essential Graphics is a bit convinient then Old type of Titles (moreover, which they want completely delete in Premiere 2023).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

building the text for a title roll in photoshop or illustrator is pretty simple and in some ways more flexible than doing it in premiere...  I've been using photoshop for many many years, so not difficult for me to make it happen, but I understand how it can be daunting...   If you have access to photoshop, you might give it a shot... Happy to fill you in on how to make it happen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, do you have any docs or manual how to make scrolling text in Premiere Pro with Photoshop? Cause seems developers are not going to fix it fast, and in 2023 Premiere they completely delete Old Text which was working +- normally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, don't have any docs or manual on how to make the image in photoshop, but it's not too complicated.  I've been using photoshop for about 30 years and pretty much have just figured out how to make it do what I need it to do...  but might be useful just to do some tutorials on the basics...  Gotta say that the linkedin learning tutorials are pretty comprehensive and you can probably skip the stuff you don't need to deal with...    You'll need a linkedin premium account, but I think there may be a one month trial...  but maybe worth the months fee...  Unfortunately I don't have much time this morning but if you tell us your sequence settings, I'll try and go into the basics when I get home this evening...

There is a website that will build the end crawl for you

https://endcrawl.com/

I tried the demo once and didn't think it was any better than what I can do in photoshop..

You might do some googling and see if there's anything on youtube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, change in schedule.  Will try and rough it out for you in a few hours...  If you find a better resource, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, don't have any docs or manual on how to make the image in photoshop, but it's not too complicated.  I've been using photoshop for about 30 years and pretty much have just figured out how to make it do what I need it to do...  but might be useful just to do some tutorials on the basics...  Gotta say that the linkedin learning tutorials are pretty comprehensive and you can probably skip the stuff you don't need to deal with...    You'll need a linkedin premium account, but I think there may be a one month trial...  but maybe worth the months fee...  Unfortunately I don't have much time this morning but if you tell us your sequence settings, I'll try and go into the basics when I get home this evening...

There is a website that will build the end crawl for you

https://endcrawl.com/Cricket 

I tried the demo once and didn't think it was any better than what I can do in photoshop..

You might do some googling and see if there's anything on youtube.

By @Michael Grenadier

Dude you seem extra pro expert in photoshop! Do you have suggestion where newbie should start from? I need basic to advance guide.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linkedin learning has comprehensive series of tutorials.  Certainly worth subscribing for a month...  if you can stay focused...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LinkedIn Learning is better than most YouTube tutorials because they are checked for accurate content.

Votes

Translate

Translate