Highlighted

Massive slow-down when inputting lots of text into Essential Graphics rolling title

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're working with a client to put together a large list of names in a rolling credits over a simple JPEG image. The list of names, coming from a 17 page word doc, has been inserted into Premiere's essential graphics system. With such a long document, the program becomes highly unstable and largely unusable when making minor changes to formatting and placement of text.

Does anyone have any experience getting the program to pick up the speed a bit when working with such a large amount of text in Essential Graphics? This seems like it should be a simple thing to render easily while remaining editable, but I'm looking at delays of around 5-6 seconds after a single click on a character, thus making any changes to a document this size a monumental waste of time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My hardware is as follows:
iMac Pro (2017)

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

Memory: 32 GB 2666 DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Massive slow-down when inputting lots of text into Essential Graphics rolling title

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're working with a client to put together a large list of names in a rolling credits over a simple JPEG image. The list of names, coming from a 17 page word doc, has been inserted into Premiere's essential graphics system. With such a long document, the program becomes highly unstable and largely unusable when making minor changes to formatting and placement of text.

Does anyone have any experience getting the program to pick up the speed a bit when working with such a large amount of text in Essential Graphics? This seems like it should be a simple thing to render easily while remaining editable, but I'm looking at delays of around 5-6 seconds after a single click on a character, thus making any changes to a document this size a monumental waste of time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My hardware is as follows:
iMac Pro (2017)

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

Memory: 32 GB 2666 DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the hard drive etups (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a 1TB SSD that came with the iMac, as well as a 4TB G-Drive connected via USB3.0, neither of which are past 50% capacity.

I just moved the project off the 4TB onto my 1TB SSD and it didn't seem to accelerate the program at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this exact same problem for every video - I like to do a credit roll at the end of a video with the names of each of the 2000 Patreons we have.  Once I put in the credits Premiere Pro becomes so laggy it's completely unusable.  This problem has followed me across several computers - currently on a AMD 3900xt 32GB ram and NVidia 2070 Super, all storage NVME.  The computer is fast as heck; this is just ridiculous.  How is it that almost no one else is complaining about this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ScribbleJAgreed - we've had more videos that we have produced lately that have required a large credit scroll and Premiere has been absolutely awful to work in once we input a large amount of text. I've heard that it gets easier to use if you use the Legacy Title editor but I haven't tapped into it. To speed things up on my end, I do all of my title and design work for the credits in Illustrator then copy them into Premiere. If I need to make changes, I have been completely deleting the Premiere layer and recopying any changes made in Illustrator.

Let me know if you have any luck potentially using the Legacy Title editor - it's a little ironic that the old system apparently works way better but it is what it is. A bit disappointed that I haven't had any further follow up on this issue but thanks for bring it back up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing these for long enough that the legacy title editor was the only option when I started and it's also a bother to use but I love the tip about doing it in Illustrator or Photoshop like mgrenadier says below.  I'll try either or both of those next time!  Thank you so much for the reply and ideas.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gotta say I always build my title roll in photoshop and then bring the psd file into premiere and keyframe the motion.  You'll often have to adjust the speed of the roll so the movement is smooth, but not a heavy load for the system to deal with.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea; I'l try that next time - thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0