Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Match Frame from Multicam clip to original separate sound source

Participant ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've synced up one camera track and eight - twelve  tracks of audio for an edit.  I'm now going to send the tracks to the Sound Mixer as an OMF so I want them back in their original clips, rather than as part of a Multicam clip.  But when I Flatten, it only creates one audio track, and none of the other channels change!  If I can only get one audio track back with Flatten from Multicam clip, is there a way I can Match Frame back to the original separate audio source?

When I Match Frame on a Multicam audio channel it takes me back to the Multicam clip and then when I match frame that, it takes me back to the video clip, but how can I choose it to take me back a certain audio clip?

Need help!!

Thanks

Jack

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Hi

So in the end I Match Framed back to the Multicam clip then dragged the whole thing down un-Nested into another sequence, and copied the audio tracks I needed for the Pro Tools into my working sequence. A bit of a faff, but doable.  Next time I use Multicam to sync up audio and video I'll just drag it down un-Nested into my cut from the start, that way I'd always be working with the original clips.  Duh!

Thanks for all the advise.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Has anyone got an answer to this?  Would be very useful!

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I think you've set yourself up for a headache here.  Shift+F will get you to the same frame in the Source Sequence.  You'll have to find, cut, copy and paste the relevant sections into the Target sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Thanks for replying.  When you say 'find' how do you mean to do this?

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say 'find' how do you mean to do this?

Go to the beginning of one clip, Match Frame into the Source sequence, mark that, go back to the Target Sequence, go to the end of that same clip, Match Frame back into the Source Sequence, mark that.  Then cut, copy and paste that marked section into the Target Sequence.

You'll need to do this for every...single...clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks Jim, but I don't think this will work because Match Frame from the target sequence will bring me to the Multicam in the Source Monitor, and then when I Match Frame from that, I will get to the video clip with the camera audio.  But I need to be able to Match Frame to the Multicam and then Match Frame to a specific audio channel.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you couldn't correctly drag the audio into the timeline - was the timeline and audio track set correctly to allow this? All the audio channels should be able to be added as separate channels depending on the audio patching, default audio track settings and the type of track in your timeline.

You should be able to add an adaptive audio track to the sequence and then add the multitrack to that - or multiple mono files and modify the audio channel settings on the clip. This may require creating a new sequence and copy/pasting the clips from the sequence you made previously into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian

Hmm, this may explain not being able to drag some of the audio into the Timeline.  I think most of the audio is mono but some channels might be stereo in which case I would have to manually change the channels to get those into the Timeline, correct?  Perhaps I should have persisted with this a little longer at the start of the edit.

Do you think my idea of Match Frame to the Multicam clip then switching the Insert or Overwrite as Individual Clips option will be good way to get all the original audio tracks down onto the Timeline? A bit of a faff, but the Sound Mixer wants all the original tracks so I can plonk everything down using that, hopefully!

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does all the audio sync - all started and stopped together? Or can you sync it in a separate sequence?

Maybe match to one event then put a marker on one track that you can match the others to. Then dump them all in the timeline. If you created a separate sequence then change the timeline switch so the sequence comes in as individual clips. That should work. Of course - your mileage may vary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brian

Unfortunately everything was not clapper synced - some was.  Because these are long takes with people in different parts of the building a lot of the radio mics were running continuously while there are multiple camera and boom clips.  So matching the marker won't work. That's why I synced via audio - and it worked.

Forgive me - what exactly do you mean when you say 'your mileage may vary?'

Thanks

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you just copy all the synced audio and paste it into a new sequence and then add that to your flattened multicam edit?

Sorry - mileage thing was just a joke. Often things that should work - don't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see.

My synced audio is part of the Multicam sequence, when I copy it into another sequence it just appears as the multicam audio - as separate tracks.  The problem is the name - it has 'Multicam' in it, which means the OMF won't link up in Pro Tools or wherever it's going.  This is my problem.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you not just copy the audio from the "original" sequence and paste it into the flattened one? You would need to sync that up, but if you group them you should only have to sync one to them all to sync. Then just delete the "multicam" audio.

Of course I would copy your finished sequence and try all this on the new one so you have a fall=back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I'm understand you Brian, forgive me.  When you say 'original sequence' what are you referring to?  There is no sequence with all the video and audio synced in their original clip format.  I created a Multicam sequence from the Program window.  So I'm hoping I can drag the audio from the original multicam down 'un-nested'.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the sequence i was referring to - wherever sequence you started with to get to be able to edit a Multicam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the Multicam sequence basically, in this case?

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your video synced to your original audio in any sequence? If it is, then once you've matched the video frame, go to that sequence and Reverse Match Frame the video from the Source Monitor to get the corresponding audio frame in the synced sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eikon

No it's not unfortunatley.  I used the Multicam function to sync in the Project window.  I didn't want to Merge Clip because making an XML wouldn't have the correct file names from that.  And I initially tried to Synchronise on the Timeline but for some reason I wasn't able to drag all the channels of audio down on to separate tracks (there were 12 different audio sources). 

I think perhaps switching the Insert or Overwrite as Individual Clips option off on the top left of the Timeline window may work.  I haven't got the actual media in front of me at the moment, but trying it with some Multicam stuff that only has two different audio sources seems to work.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it - make sure you  use a copy so you can keep you current state of things if this messes things up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, certainly. I'll let you know how it goes!

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

So in the end I Match Framed back to the Multicam clip then dragged the whole thing down un-Nested into another sequence, and copied the audio tracks I needed for the Pro Tools into my working sequence. A bit of a faff, but doable.  Next time I use Multicam to sync up audio and video I'll just drag it down un-Nested into my cut from the start, that way I'd always be working with the original clips.  Duh!

Thanks for all the advise.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Teleport to the weird world of 2020. You just helped someone in the midst of literal chaos. Thanks from the future!

- Ndisputed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines