Highlighted

Mavic 2 Drone Footage - Very choppy in timeline and export - Urgently looking for fix.

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am currently working on a project for a friend that includes 4k & 2.7k drone footage from the Mavic 2. When I open the footage in VLC it looks great and smooth. However, whenever I import it into Adobe I start to skip a large amount of frames and I understand that this is normal. However, it also skips frames when I export the footage.

I have tried:

- Playback resolution 1/4 and 1/8

-  Rendering in to out inside Adobe.

- Creating Proxies - I can scrub the footage perfectly in Adobe however, when I export I start to skip a large amount of frames again.

For some reason the footage actually plays back smoother inside Adobe when I do not render the footage "in to out".

I recorded the footage with a:
SanDisk Extreme 256 GB microSDXC Memory Card

- 160MB/s read, and 90 MB/s write

- UHS Speed Class 3 rating and video class speed of V30 labelled as “4K UHD-ready” which makes it an ideal choice for 4K footage.

My laptop specs:

- 16gb RAM

- GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Design (with latest driver)

- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Noah

TOPICS
Editing, Export, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mavic 2 Drone Footage - Very choppy in timeline and export - Urgently looking for fix.

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am currently working on a project for a friend that includes 4k & 2.7k drone footage from the Mavic 2. When I open the footage in VLC it looks great and smooth. However, whenever I import it into Adobe I start to skip a large amount of frames and I understand that this is normal. However, it also skips frames when I export the footage.

I have tried:

- Playback resolution 1/4 and 1/8

-  Rendering in to out inside Adobe.

- Creating Proxies - I can scrub the footage perfectly in Adobe however, when I export I start to skip a large amount of frames again.

For some reason the footage actually plays back smoother inside Adobe when I do not render the footage "in to out".

I recorded the footage with a:
SanDisk Extreme 256 GB microSDXC Memory Card

- 160MB/s read, and 90 MB/s write

- UHS Speed Class 3 rating and video class speed of V30 labelled as “4K UHD-ready” which makes it an ideal choice for 4K footage.

My laptop specs:

- 16gb RAM

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Noah

TOPICS
Editing, Export, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need at least 32 gig of ram to edit 4K footage.

What kind of proxies did you make.

Render in to out as in making preview files or exporting.

Post screenshot export settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need at least 32 gig of ram to edit 4K footage.

Does that mean I cannot export 4k footage smoothly without having 32gb of RAM?

What kind of proxies did you make.

I downloaded proxy templates from Matt Johnson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b8VtZX62XA)

1280x720 - Cineform (if that makes any sense?)

Sorry I dont know too much about proxies yet.

Render in to out as in making preview files or exporting.

Preview files.

Post screenshot export settings.

I can do this later, do you have any suggested export settings that I can try out?

The video will be exported at 1080p in the final stage.

❗ Download my FREE Proxy Preset: https://go.whoismatt.com/proxypreset/ Is your computer too slow to edit 4K video? Or do you have a fast computer that still ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy the contents of the card to an internal hard drive or are you trying to edit from the card? You can't edit well if you are trying to edit from the card.

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy the contents of the card to an internal hard drive or are you trying to edit from the card?

I copied the contents on my internal SSD.

My SSD is a - Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB M.2 Internal NVMe SSD (up to 3.500 MB/s) 

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

computer specs:

- 16gb RAM

hard drives:

2 SSD's - Samsung MZ-V7S1T0BW SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB M.2 Internal NVMe SSD

1. 50gb free (the project is on this one)

2. 807gb free - freshly installed it yesterday.

I will try clear some spaces on my 1. SSD and put the project on 2. SSD and try to export it from there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have tried freeing up space on all SSD's and while it has improved the speed of my Laptop it has not solved the problem with my footage skipping large amounts of frames when exported.

I tried using the export setting presets in Adobe Premiere such as "YouTube 1080p Full HD" and also made some custom ones with higher bitrates.

What steps should I take next?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue and my computer is an absolute beast.. it is not the computer like people are saying.. something fishy is going on with premiere and these mavic clips.. The rest of my video I shot is running perfectly smooth otherwise.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H264/5 is never good for editing, but in all the time that I've been editing video, anything that comes from a DJI product has absolutely monstrous playback. And that's on any number of high end systems at half a dozen different production companies, my own computers, etc. DJI has some secret sauce to their h264/5 encoding. That being said, I'm surprised that the OP has had issues with Cineform proxies, and regardless of playback in Premiere the final product shouldn't inherit any of those issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!!!

It's a nightmare everytime I have to work with any footage from DJI. There's no way around it except for making proxies or transcoding the original media.

I have yet to use a system that can edit DJI's files smoothly!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2020 0