Mavic 2 Pro H265 proxy workflow on MAC (Prores vs H264)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are on MAC. Premier/AME 2020. We were having issues with the  Mavic 2 Pro H265 proxie workflow.

Prores 422 proxies will NOT work. They always come out choppy.

At this point we only make the proxies with the H264 setting. This is NOT ideal as Prores proxies always play better on MAC vs the H264 ones.

Adobe PLEASE fix this!!! Unless anyone has an other fix for this? I tried messing around with "Creating an injest" preset with Prores Proxy 422 as a base in AME with no luck.

TOPICS
Anywhere

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a proxy preset is a bit more involved than it should be but not difficult.

It's a three-step process.

First, in MediaEncoder, create an Encoding preset for the format/codec/frame-size you want to make for proxies.

Then ... create an Ingest preset that uses the encoding preset you just made.

Last, import that preset into Premiere's Media Browser Ingest options. And ... you probably need to restart Premiere after you've made the preset for it to re-read the folder and "see" it as available.

They do have information on it available in the help.

I would think that you'd want the ProRes422Lt for proxies ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding but I have no problems making custom injest proxies from AMA.

The problem is with the results / performance in Premiere from the proxies made from H265 HEVC media in the default "Prores 422 proxy" flavor. Those proxies have playback stutter. The ones set to "H264" do not but those proxies are not perfered in the MAC world.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still trying to make sure I'm getting it ... proxies made by MediaEncoder in the ProRes422 proxy format/codec from H.265 media are the ones that are stuttering, right? And this is with the Toggle Proxies icon blue ... meaning the proxies are in use?

But if you use the same proxy preset with H.264 original media, it work properly?

"At this point we only make the proxies with the H264 setting. This is NOT ideal as Prores proxies always play better on MAC vs the H264 ones."

Because it almost sounds like you're using an H.265 format/codec for the proxy rather than a ProRes one. So I'm a bit confused.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Still trying to make sure I'm getting it ... proxies made by MediaEncoder in the ProRes422 proxy format/codec from H.265 media are the ones that are stuttering, right? And this is with the Toggle Proxies icon blue ... meaning the proxies are in use?

But if you use the same proxy preset with H.264 original media, it works properly?"

Correct sir. The toggle proxies is most definitely on.  I have heard that Premiere has had issues with H265 in the past but this problem I am having makes no sense since when toggle is off the h265 RAW plays. (abit VERY delayed and clunky of course becase its RAW but still plays without stutter) And again the h264 proxy plays too. 

Im thinking that it has something to do with prores 422 codec not playing nicely with H265. It's a shame becase Prores proxy is so much smoother than h264 proxy.

The weirdest part of all this is that in the quicktime player the Prores Proxy made from the H265 plays fine! Its only when Premiere needs to play does it stutter. So strange. I need to talk to the Mavic 2 drone operator. Perhapse it something wrong in the camera's H265 settings?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's happening to you really puzzles me. As ... if it's actually playing the ProRes proxies, it should be giving you decent playback. As shown by the proxy clips playing fine outside of Premiere.

Wow. Still trying to puzzle this one out.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
bahnme LATEST
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? I've come across something similar. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines