I've been having issues with an export on a video. All my drone shots after export end up playing back super choppy, but the rest of my Sony A7III footage is ok. Weird thing is that previous exports on my drafts of the video were fine and not choppy, however after adding an edit to my Sony footage, after exporting only the drone footage becomes choppy.
Drone Video plays back smooth as butter in the editing timeline. Sequence and export settings are the same at 23.976 fps...
I've tried reinstalling Premiere Pro and Media Encoder but no luck. I also ended up taking another random drone shot that has exported fine beforehand and overlaying it on top of my footage. After exporting its also choppy even though in the timeline its smooth as butter. My current footage is all stored on an external hard drive.
Any ideas what the issue could be?
Export Settings for the Video
What are the frame rates of your:
If you've slowed down your drone clips, it might also help to know the Time Interpolation or Frame Blending mode for the sequence and the export. In the sequence, you can find that by right clicking on the slowed clip and selecting Speed/Duration. In your export settings, it's toward the bottom. Look at the Time interpolation.
If you've significantly slowed your drone footage and you recorded at a low frame rate, you may have better results with Optical Flow. It will take longer to render but tends to provide smoother results when slowing clips down below 70% if you don't have enough frames. For example, if your clip is 60fps and your timeline is 30fps, you can safely slow down to 50% and not worry about Time Interpolation. But, if your clip is 30fps and your timeline is 30fps and you try to slow down to 50%, then you're only giving the sequence 15fps and the computer has to create the additional frames. Time interpolation tells it how to create those frames. Optical Flow tends to be smoother but does take more time to process.
Providing the information requested above will help to assess potential issues.
Drone FPS: 23.98
I've tried exporting under all different time interpolation options but no luck. I did not edit the speed of any of my drone footage.
Okay. No slow motion and, though the frame rates are not an exact match, there's nothing alarming there.
What are the specs on your drone footage?
What make and model drone?
Container (ex: mp4):
Codec (ex: h.264):
Bitrage (ex: 80Mbps):
Resolution: (ex: 3840x2160)
Is this footage on a fast drive or SD card?
What are your full sequence settings? Probably easiest to post a screenshot.
Would you also post a screenshot of the export settings you're using?
DJI Mavic Pro 2
This footage is stored on an external 2TB Seagate Drive. It should have up to about 110Mbps Read/Write Speeds.
The thing that is tripping me out the most is that it plays back fine in my timeline and seemed fine two days ago when exporting. I even had a separate file for the export that worked properly a few days ago but now the drone footage in that video is also choppy after export.
Even in a new project all of my drone footage I've been able to export fine without any issues is now super choppy. However when I go on an old PC with 2019 Premiere Pro, footage renders fine... is this an issue with 2020 Premiere Pro?
You bitrate settings for H.265 udh are way too low.
Use a preset and see how that goes.
If the footage is variable framerate convert to constant framerate with Handbrake before bringing into Premiere.
Make sure the Default input in the Audio Hardware in the Preferences is set to None.
Using 4K UHD preset did not help. Maxing bitrate setting manually also did not help.
Changing to H.264 in the export and maxing out the bitrate there didn't help either. On every single export I've tried where the drone footage is choppy, the "choppiness" is the exact same in each video. Some parts of the footage stutters a little bit and there are whole clips that just freeze up. But once the video gets to my Sony footage, playsback flawlessly.
Really confused as to whats going on here.
Transferring the footage from my external HDD to my internal SSD did the trick. I guess the hard drive was got too slow to keep up with the export...
Thanks everyone for pitching in with advice.