• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximum Bit Depth when sending to ProRes4444 for Resolve?

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am rendering a Quicktime PreRes4444 to send to my colorist. She will color grade in Resolve.  Should I specify Maximum Bit Depth?  My thinking is that gives me the most color information, which would be important for a colorist, yes?

Am I correct that without this option I get less color bits?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but after two years working on my first documentary, I want to do the best job I can!

Thanks,

Neil Myers

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No ... that's one of the puzzling items that doesn't actually do what it sounds like mostly.

Max Bit Depth is normally needed if you don't have a usable GPU and you are wanting the CPU to process the bit-depth of the color changes in the math that a GPU would use. If you're working with anything other than "software only" in your Project Settings dialog for Mercury Acceleration, you don't normally need that item checked. Premiere will be processing at full bit depth.

There are a few odd circumstances where that can be an issue. One I know of is DNxHD/R in the 4444 option, that ... you do normally need to check the MBD option.

I've not had any troubles with ProRes bit-dept though.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

BUT ... my question stands.  I am creating a Quicktime ProRes4444 render of my project.  This is being used by a colorist who uses Resolve.

Is it true that when I specify Maximum Bit Depth that the file it writes will contain 16 bit color instead of 8 bit?  Or, is it always 16 bit?  OR ... is is STILL 8 bit even with that option selected.

I believe it has to be one of the three options I have listed.  Do you know which it is?

FYI, the cameras used on thirs project range from a lowly iPhone to a Red camera.  IOW, there is a wide variety of color bit depths.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann:

THANKS!  Now I understand.  Let me spit it back, to make sure I get it. 

A) MBD specifies the bit depth used during the render, not the number of bits written in the file. 

B) If you use a GPR, it automatically uses the full color information available

C) So, it is irrelevant in terms of what gets written to the file

Do I have that right?

Thanks for posting that answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mostly, yes. Though there are a couple odd cases ... such as DNxHD/R in the 4444 that apparently MBD is needed to really keep top bit-depth in export. But ... for all the "normal" format/codec combinations, it's typically not needed if you've got a full GPU in use.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines