• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Browser Preview Scrub lag, Pro Res Win 10

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been shooting ProRes raw for a few months now, and this is my largest project to date in that format, nearly filling 3 separate 1TB SSDs.  I've not had issues until yesterday.  As I was droping some b-roll onto a timeline I noticed a bunch of lag accessing one group of files.  The media browser witihin Premiere, the thumbnails stop rendering and the rest say processing no matter what folder I try to access.  Premiere locks, or tries to craah, but ultimately I have to force quit via the task manager.  

I can't look at or scrub any of those files at them moment.  I did notice with Media Encoder open, within the media browser, the ProRes thumbnail load in a second and I can scrub them without issue, and import them into the que and render.  But I don't know how to get those files into premiere or to the timeline from Media Encoder.  

20210214_202507.jpg

Win 10 Pro

Core i9

RTX2080

64gb ram

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prores raw files are gonna be heavy lifting for almost any system.  I suggest you investigate the proxy workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is pre-proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what does "pre-proxies" mean?   wait a second, are you saying you can't import them?  What if you just use the file: import dialog or just drag them from file explorer into your premiere bin rather than using the media browser? 

You may also be having problems with your drives.  Make sure you have a minimum of 10% free space on all drives and a minimum of 20% free space on your startup drive.  It's possible one of your ssd's is failing.  Although there are no moving parts in an ssd, they can fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anytime I create a new project, I first add all of the files to a working SSD.  Then I open premier, create a new project, point to all the necessary files, create a proxies folder and point to it, and then open the project. From there I will scrub each clip, create an In-N-Out and drag only that part into the timeline. Normally media encoder will then open and render that proxy into the folder meanwhile I continue scrubbing.

I can no longer scrub through files. This is where it locks up.

I will definitely have a look at the amount of C drive space, but I have all of this on a two terabyte working drive that is 70% available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just because you have 70% available space on your working drive doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the drive.  You might find an app that looks at drive performance and see if there are any issues on the drive.  And there can also be issues with the actual files.  Copying one of the files to another drive might give you a clue to the issue.   Also, you might try opening one of the files in another program and see if there are any problems.  Would help to figure out whether it's a premiere probem or something else.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the problem began, I purchased the brand new 2 TB hard drive to ensure I had enough space. I also have triplicate backups of this same data across different drives. The problem occurs no matter which source I'm trying to draw from.

What other programs do you suggest, DaVinci?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure DaVinci will access prores raw files, but worth a shot using the free version.   do you have all 3 backups connected at the same time?  Might try disconnecting all but one drive.  Also, what kind of connection are you using between the drives and the computer?   Might try measuring the drive read and write speed.   as a workaround and troubleshooting step,  try turning off the automatic creation of proxies and using the manual proxy creating workflow.   Create a new project, drag a single media file into the new project, control click on the clip in the project and choose proxy: create proxy and see if media encoder launches, etc.  Wondering if there could be an issue with the preset you're using to create the proxy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All of my drives are connected internally, data.  I have been working on this project for a couple of months without issue.

I had considered disconnecting all of the hard drives.

Keep in mind that I mentioned in media encoder I can completely scrub and look at every single file in the media browser. But I can no longer do that in premiere, which is leading me to believe it is a software bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines