Media Cache recommended location?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have three drives in my system, all pcie-gen 4 NVME.
The first is my boot drive, it's a 4TB NVME drive.

The second is a crazy-fast NVME RAID-0 that's 6 TB. This is where I keep the source footage and project files for the project I'm working on.

The third is a 1 TB NVME drive.

I've read various ideas about storage configuration and where to set your media cache for Premiere. Some people suggest keeping your media cache on a different drive than your project files. That's how I currently have it set up, media cache is on my third (1TB) drive. But the RAID-0 is literally 3x faster than that drive (it's made of a 4tb, 1tb and 1tb nvme). 

Would there be any benefit to moving the media cache to the RAID instead of the non-raided drive?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't take too long to test, and that's the only way you'd know for sure. I think it might be good to keep it on the 3rd drive as you have, but again ... might not.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the options should work OK and the RAID should be your best bet but then again it might not. I have seen SSD RAID setups perform worse than my setup with 5 SATA hard drives. I have heard some AMD motherboards can be gltichy with M.2 SSD but a BIOS update can usually fix it. You will have to test things out for yourself. Can you do a read and write video with your RAID setup? One single drive and then the RAID setup like my video below? I am curious what speeds you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfT9ivfbJ98&feature=emb_logo

I test the read and write speed of one Seagate Barracuda HD. Then I use a M.2 to SATA adapter to create a SATA HD RAID 0 with 5 Seagate Barracuda drives.M.2 ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that! Will give it a try. I'm away from my machine for a couple of weeks but will test it out when I get back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you will have time to make the video or not. That being said I have made a video that might be worth watching.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines