Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I have a Dell Computer:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz

64.0 GB

2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD 

NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6

I noticed my Media Cache, and Scratch Disk Is my C Drive. I have a 2 TB SSD C Drive, with 85% free space. Also, I have a SATA 7200 RPM D Drive, that is almost filled up and SATA 7200 RPM E Drive, with 50% Space available. What is your recommendation to add my Cache Files, and Scratch Disk Files?

Also, I can purchase a 250GB SSD Drive as an F Drive, and use that Drive for Cache, and Scratch Disk space.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Your bootdrive is for OS and Programs and nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend you purchase the 250GB Drive and move your C (operating system) to it, and use the 2TB SSD as you scratch + ongoing projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sami.

I noticed inside Users-User Name-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-Common, There are Two Folders as Follow:

Media Cache, and Media Cache Files.

I was watching a Tutorial, and the Instructor explained,  delete all these files.

Is that Ok?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes no problem.

Use your HDD only for back up not for video files etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ms. Ann.

Right now I have a 2TB SSD Drive, and 2 TB SATA D Drive, and 2TB SATA E Drive, which contains my Old Archived files, and Data Files.

All the Program Files are Inside the 2 TB SSD Drive, 85% Empty Space

Do I need to purchase another small SSD Drive only to add all the Scracth Disk, Midia Cache files?

Which Drive should I add my Current working Project Files?

Also, I noticed Indide Premiere Preferences the Media Cache Folder are connected to Lightroom folder, I dont know why here is the Folder Locations

Media Cache Files:

C-Users-User Name-AppData-Local-ADobe-Lightroom-CAches-Video

Media Cache Database Files:

C-Users-User Name-AddData-Local-Lightroom-Caches-Video

Should I change these folders to another Drive Which Drive?

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 or 2 TB ssd for OS and programs (not refering to Program Files) is a waist of space imo.

Mine is a 250 gig with enough free space left.

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, I agree. But these days, the way the drives are priced these days, 250 GB SSDs are a relatively poor value: They do not cost all that much less money than their 500 GB model mates while being significantly slower in write speeds.

By the way, the discussion starter already has a 2 TB SSD configured as the OS/programs drive. That is an inefficient use of space. And if that user has 85% free space with the most commonly used programs and the OS installed, this might mean that a 250 GB SSD would be cutting it close. What I will be suggesting for that user will be to get a 500 GB SSD, transfer (clone) the OS and programs to that smaller SSD, then reassign the 2 TB SSD for the media and projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ms. Ann, and RjL90365

Thank you very much for the advice. Yes, My Computer C Drive is already comes with a 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD Drive.

Techniquelly, all my Programs such as Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, Audition, and Modo 3D, are Installed In C Drive. I Noticed the price for 250Gig, and 500Gig, Is not that much of different.

Here is my question please. after Installing the new SSD Drive, I shall add all my Project Files into that new SSD Dive, can I add my Scratch Disk, and Disk Cache to this new SSD Drive, or I need anotther SSD Drive for Media Cache, I can always Delete the Cache.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your bootdrive is for OS and Programs and nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ms. Ann.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You can safely delete those two folders. Premiere Pro will re-create those files whenever you open that project or any video files contained within.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

animationonlife,

Your M.2 SSD should be pretty fast. That is not to say an M.2 SSD cannot be glitchy with your motherboard and have poor perfomance. Having said that having your Media Cache, and Scratch Disk on the C drive/M.2 SSD is OK. Although your M.2 SSD should be fast if you have 64 GB of RAM you could dissable the virtual memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines