• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Cache

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two NVME 500GB SSD's installed, and one external 8TB HDD for storage.  I have my OS and software on one of the SSD's and my Peoject file and media source files on another.  My question is, which drive would theoretically be best for the media cache / scratch location?

1. OS/software SSD

2. Project/Media source files SSD

3. HDD

Thanks, guys!

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an ideal world you'd have another NVME for media cache/scratch. In your case send then to one of your existing NVME's.

On Windows I'd suggest to the Project/source NVME. On Mac, I'd be sending it to the OS NVME.

I work on both PC's and Mac. On the PC side I have the luxury of large and multiple fast raids. So Media, scratch, OS all have their own separate drives. On the Mac it's a laptop with a 4TB NVME internal drive and everything goes to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.  In the absence of a third SSD, I agree with your assessment and have my project / source media / cache / scratch on one SSD and the OS and software on the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd personally install a decent size SSD for the OS/programs, and use one of those Nvme drives for the cache/preview files for Premiere. The other for project files and working media if possible.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

500GB is more than enough for my OS / software SSD.  I'm using about 60GB of it and am not installing anything else on that drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think SSD will be a bottleneck either way although some M.2 SSD can be glitchy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines