Highlighted

Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a coincidence, but it's a mighty big one at that.  I upgraded this afternoon and opened my most recent project.  I went through the new features and then looked into the Preferences to see if there was anything new.  Arriving at the Media Cache tab I decided click on "clean unused"  Media Cache Database.  That's something I've done in previous versions.  Then I closed the open project and opened another I had finished last week.  Surprise, all media files were missing.  I checked the original file's directory.  All of the root and subfolders were intact.  However, when I looked in the clip folder all of the .MXF files were gone, leaving just the .xmp and .XML.  Every folder, in every project that was shot in AVCHD or XAVC (except for the one that was initially open) was missing the media files.  Not only that, but I found FCP 7 Capture scratch folders emptied except for the autosave vault.   There were other media files missing as well including mp4 exports, and some but not all .mov exports from every project.  Also missing are from a foder are .img files containing DVD images.  Unexplainably, some ProRes files recorded on Atomos were untouched, as well as other's that were transcodes from XAVC to ProRes. 

I contacted Adobe Support via chat.  The agent told me that it was not possible for the "clean unused" function to cause all the deletions.  You can specify the media cache directory to be cleaned and in my case it was definitely not the root of the drive, nor any of the media folders.   He said that nobody has reported this issue so far.

All of my media is on a two drive RAID and that was the only drive effected. The good news is that all of my media is backed up, sometimes twice for the most important clients.  Of course restoring all that media will take hours.  Before I do that I'm running a file restoration program (that also takes hours).

Finally, the "clean unused" command may have nothing to do with it, but the fact that no media was deleted from the open project is suspicious. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a coincidence, but it's a mighty big one at that.  I upgraded this afternoon and opened my most recent project.  I went through the new features and then looked into the Preferences to see if there was anything new.  Arriving at the Media Cache tab I decided click on "clean unused"  Media Cache Database.  That's something I've done in previous versions.  Then I closed the open project and opened another I had finished last week.  Surprise, all media files were missing.  I checked the original file's directory.  All of the root and subfolders were intact.  However, when I looked in the clip folder all of the .MXF files were gone, leaving just the .xmp and .XML.  Every folder, in every project that was shot in AVCHD or XAVC (except for the one that was initially open) was missing the media files.  Not only that, but I found FCP 7 Capture scratch folders emptied except for the autosave vault.   There were other media files missing as well including mp4 exports, and some but not all .mov exports from every project.  Also missing are from a foder are .img files containing DVD images.  Unexplainably, some ProRes files recorded on Atomos were untouched, as well as other's that were transcodes from XAVC to ProRes. 

I contacted Adobe Support via chat.  The agent told me that it was not possible for the "clean unused" function to cause all the deletions.  You can specify the media cache directory to be cleaned and in my case it was definitely not the root of the drive, nor any of the media folders.   He said that nobody has reported this issue so far.

All of my media is on a two drive RAID and that was the only drive effected. The good news is that all of my media is backed up, sometimes twice for the most important clients.  Of course restoring all that media will take hours.  Before I do that I'm running a file restoration program (that also takes hours).

Finally, the "clean unused" command may have nothing to do with it, but the fact that no media was deleted from the open project is suspicious. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 21, 2017 0
130 Replies 130
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee Berg Tally,

There are new media cache preferences to trash media cache that is over 90 days or whatever threshold you choose. It was likely automatically deleted. It should automatically rebuild itself once you start using the project, but of course, that may take time. Sorry for that.

You say that your actual media files were deleted, though? How were these files originally moved from your camera? How were they ingested? Didn't they reside on a separate media drive? Sorry if I'm not fully understanding your plight.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the exact same thing but I have just now had files disappear on me.  I've been working on a project all this week with no problems.  Yesterday, I upgraded and now today, after I export a rough cut, I go to import the current sequence into a newly created project and it tells me I have missing files.  I manually look for them in Finder and when I open the folders, my footage in two different folders from two different cameras is gone.  I had three cameras and the third camera's footage is still there, but the other two are no where to be found.  These files were saved on my external hard drive which is a WD My Passport.  I have never had problems like this before.  Please help because I'm panicking because this is my first big paying gig and I was supposed to be sending a new version to my client today. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Furrybear,

Actually, this sounds very similar to the OP's issue. I just read your post and that is most unfortunate. Let me see if there are any known issues around media going missing and I'll report back as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

The Jive messaging system won't send my messages, nor will it open messages sent to me. Please email me ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin:

Thanks for your rapid response.  I always copy my files from SD card to a dedicated 4TB media drive (2 drive RAID inside my 2008 Mac Pro).  I like to segregate the media by type, eg. XAVC, AVCHD, GoPro, ProRes, etc.  I create a folder for each typie and a sub folder for each project.   So a path would be Root>XAVC>Project Name, or Root>AVCHD>Project Name. Then all of the card's contents are copied into that folder.  I backup in the exact same way. 

Yes, all of my original media has been deleted, but only the actual media files.  Yet all of the rest of the file folder structure remainss including the XML and xmp files.  Only the MXF, MP4, and MOV media files are gone.  This happened over multiple folders and projects except for the one that was open at the time I cleared the cache.  That project had both XAVC, Quicktime, and AVCHD files.  Not only that, but also Capture Scratch files from FCP7, the contents of a folder containing DVD Image files,and a folder cotaomomg MP4 and Mov exports of final videos.  Left un-deleted were several folders containing MOV files recorded on Atomos Ninja.

I don't see how a rebuild can happen from files that are no longer there.  I hope this is helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi leebergtally,

First, thanks for reporting this issue and following up.

A couple of questions:

If you disable this preference, are you still losing files?

What interval have you set clear cache to?

What directory is your media cache folder set to.

If easier please post a screenshot of the media preference tab.

Reg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reg:

Since the files went missing I haven't done anything in Premiere Pro.  I've been using a deleted files app to restore some of the files that were not backed up.

Below are the current settings.   In previous versions I set destination to the root, but PP makes a folder for the actual Database.  When you choose to clean I assume your are deleting files from that Cache folder and not actual media files in separate directories.  This is a different approach to previous versions where there was only a media tab.

Media Cache.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anything new been uncovered about this?  Is there a way to retrieve these deleted files?  I have personality spoken with two other people that this has happened to.  One of which all of their footage was deleted and they had to reshoot everything. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry leebergtally, that last comment was for either Kevin or Reg.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem Furrybear.  I'm sorry to hear that others are having this same problem, but glad to know that I'm not alone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furrybear,
I have just a moment to let you know that we are trying to get to the bottom of this issue as soon as we can. There may be some delay in communicating on the issue, as a good number of the engineering team are converging on NAB as we speak and it is the weekend. I'll give you an update as soon as I hear of any news.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are screen grabs of the same directory of F55 files.  The first is the backup.F55 backup.jpg

And the next is from my RAID where files went missing.  Notice there are quite a few less files.

F55 RAID.jpg

This is how every directory looks on my RAID. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Which directory is your media cache set to?

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the preferences it is set to /Volumes/ 4TB Raid  That's root and it's the same place it's been for several versions. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

My cache files saved in the mac default folder:  /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On May 4th, my media team at UC Berkeley lost 14TB worth of data from our file server, just over two years worth of projects- almost everything from our shared volume with the exception of some folder structures. A few days before, we upgraded to the latest version of Premiere. We've got six editors and two motion graphics artists all running Premiere and sharing access to this server, which we all work from. Thankfully, we were able to recover a lot of it because we have backups, but it took several days (two of which were overtime days for our IT guy), but it's so disgusting to hear that it was our very production software that did this to us.

How is a bug like this even possible? Why is Premiere even allowed to instantaneously wipe an entire volume worth of data? How did a bug like that make it through beta testing? I hope whoever signed off on that rollout is now looking for another job.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am DYING HERE, This is  serious work flow PROBLEM!

No matter what Cache files are deleted the main saved version should be untouched?

I rendered multiple files and the timeline s missing components not matching the render?

ISSUES: Volume changes, missing files, GENERALLY 10 OR 20 HOURS OF WORK MISSING?

I have had at least 10 or 12 encounters with this

and iTS KILLING MY BUSINESS!

Someone PLEASE HELP...

Mark Dreyer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact same experience - all of my xavc based media files that were on a separate raid and a lot of other stuff like jpegs and mp4's were also missing... around 3Tb's of media ... what I don't understand is where did it go...? All of the F55 and F5 folder structures are present but in the clips folder there is only XML files - scared the living daylights out of me!!! And took me 2 anxious days to rebuild the projects back up.

i would have thought that this is a major issue for Adobe engineers to address..

anyway just thought that I would put this out there in the hope that someone will take this seriously and look at it.

please Adobe look at this!!!

Steve Hopes - Sydney 0411275114

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2017 0
Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe provides these forums as primarily a user-to-user help system. Other than at roll-outs, nearly all the staffers you see posting here (with Adobe "badges" rather than avatars) are under Kevin Monahan in Product Support .... not actually on the PrPro development team. If you see say Trent Happel though, and a few others ... they are on the product team.

Those of us with ACP (Adobe Community Professional) or MVP badges are other users who spend a lot of time helping out peers. And of course, we aren't within the development team either. Although some of us do attend say NAB as I'm doing at the moment ... JasonTCox is also here, as is Szalam ... and from that I have met and know who some of the engineers are.

For direct communication on major issues, it's best to file a bug report. Normally engineers and especially the managers who decide what the engineer's budget is directed at don't view these forums. The bug results get delivered to all senior staffers to peruse, however. That's easily the best way to get an issue logged and and listed as X-percentage seem to have this issue.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2017 0
Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most welcome.  I just hope you're working.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 25, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me. Happened on one drive. Assumed it was dying. Brought another one, and moved media cache folder. Then it happened on that one!

Sigh.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dyingbirdproductions:

When this happened did you click on the "Clean Unused" button in the Preferences, Media Cache Tab?  That's what I believe caused my issue that initiated this thread.  After that I have not made the same choice and haven't had a problem with missing media.

Lee

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee,

I didn't click on the button, but noticed my media gone after I exported my first rough edit.  Any clue what may have caused my issue? I would really HATE for this to happen again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Furrybear:

I have not had a problem with missing files other than what I reported.  As a test, today I opened a project and exported a timeline to ProRes.  No additional media was lost. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me three times this last week, it started happening right after upgrading. Luckily, I have backups but I've had to restore all of my files 3 times, 3 TIMES! -- an entire week and a half of panicking and work wasted. Today it happened again. I don't really know what to do because I have deadlines for next week and I can't just keep losing files and restoring them. If I downgrade to the previous version then I won't be able to open the projects that were converted to the new version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a project yesterday that had previously been fine (In fact it was the project open when all of that media went missing).  The missing media panel showed many files offline, however I skipped "search and locate" and continued to open the project.  Fortunately all of the media was there, it just took a few minutes to get past "media pending." 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

holacachetecomoestast:

If you want to downgrade, try exporting an XML for Final Cut Pro and then import that into the previous version.  Some settings and effects may be missing, but it's the only way to go backwards that I know of.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually looked at the project again today and indeed many files that were not used in sequences were deleted.  Now I'm restoring them again from backup drives.Missing in Bin.jpg

I went back to the preferences and changed the automatic delete in the Media Cache tab to "Do not delete cache files automatically."  Let's see if that fixes the problem.Automatic cache deslected.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. I never cleaned my cache folder after upgrading. My media disappeared just when opening the project in the new upgraded version. I'm waiting to talk to someone at Adobe to see if they have an answer to this issue. I don't want to open my projects again and have my media disappear and spend the next 4 days restoring everything again. Hopefully they have an answer by now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome!  Just for my piece of mind, did you go and look at the Media Cache tab in preferences to see if "automatic delete" is checked?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't even opened a project yet because I'm finishing my second backup and I don't want premiere to mess it up. What I'm going to do is wait for the back up to be finished, trash the media cache folder and wait over night for the project to rebuild all those files. Then check the "automatic delete" and see how it goes from there. I'll let you know when I do it for sure.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you media go offline, or is media missing from your project. Sorry to be splitting hairs, but I want to be sure I understand what you're experiencing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee,

I see your cache is set to the root of 4 TB RAID. If you create a folder on 4 TB RAID and direct your Media Cache Files to that folder, you can re-enable the cache management without files getting deleted. The problem seems to occur when there are loose files (not in folders) at the same file level as you Media Cache.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, files actually deleted permanently, non recoverable.  It has happened twice to me.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.  BTW, that the same folder path I've used for the past several versions and this is the first time files have gone missing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're scrambling to fix this. In the meantime, do one of the following: 1 > Set you cache file location back to the default location. You can do this quickly by trashing your user preferences (hold down Alt (on Win) or Option (on Mac)) and then launch Premiere Pro. Or... 2 > Create a custom folder on whichever drive you want to use and direct your cache files to this location. Keep all files other than the Media Cache file out of this location.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially the media went missing from my project. All I did was open a project I've been working on for a while with no problems after upgrading to 2017.1. I tried to relink the files and could not find them anywhere on my 4TB RAID 0 external hard drive. They were completely gone, and not only video files, jpeg's, png's, audio, etc. I recertified and reinitialized my drive (which took 2 days), restored all of my files from my back ups (3 more days), re-link and rebuilt my project (2 days), started working again and a day later boom! Again. 3.7 TB of media gone from my hard drive (another week wasted). I'm afraid of opening the project again and wasting another week of work. Pardon my language, but this is major — guys. I need to work and meet my deadlines and this is completely out of control.

Mod: Warning 1: do not use profanity. It is against our community guidelines. Keep in mind that minors read these forums. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's done.  I created a separate folder and pointed the Media Cache Files and Media Cache database there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to determine the original file name of the 'blanked out' clips?

blank-vids.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2017 0
Participant ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On 4/19 I discovered that 500GB of PHOTOS on my 2nd internal hard drive were missing, with empty folders left in their places.  I thought it was System Mechanic as a defrag had run on that drive right about the time they disappeared.  My Media Cache was on that drive. 

Because I can't open GH5 10-bit files in the latest PP, I've gone back one version.  Does this version have this problem?

And my biggest question:  Since Adobe knows who pays them every month to license this software, why haven't they notified everyone by email? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 1
Advocate ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And my biggest question:  Since Adobe knows who pays them every month to license this software, why haven't they notified everyone by email?"

Editboy correctly answered this question above.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems they've got a fix

To avoid this issue update to Premiere Pro CC 2017 (11.1.1)

Avoid potential deletion of media files in Premiere Pro CC 2017 (11.1)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lost 1,5 TB (20.000 Euros!!!), needed 3 days to rebuild my data with EasUs (80 Euros - btw very good recovery program) and bought one new external drive (200 Euros). Hey ADOBE it´s not enough, offering an update after two weeks, letting your users alone in a very desperate situation!!! The past two weeks, were the worst of my professional life. We were on the edge of ruins.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the head's up!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the...?  How did you know about a patch when I received absolutely no notification?    As the guy who started this thread you'd think that the Adobe staff who monitor this thread would give me a heads up.  I getting more and more discouraged with Adobe on this issue, beginning to think they don't care.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't get the bits & parts of Adobe mixed up ... the staff around here are almost all within Product Support ... for the Digital Video Apps (DVA's) ... and they are not on the product teams. Further, there aren't enough P-S staffers to monitor every thread and post. They get around as much as they can.

There is communication between the two, the product teams & product support  ... but perhaps not as much as most of us would assume. And they are different management areas.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi leebergtally,

What the...?  How did you know about a patch when I received absolutely no notification?    As the guy who started this thread you'd think that the Adobe staff who monitor this thread would give me a heads up.  I getting more and more discouraged with Adobe on this issue, beginning to think they don't care.

In Adobe product support, we do care. In fact, we are the ones that identified this issue and pushed for the update. Sorry if your expectation was that we would contact you once the issue was resolved. Unfortunately, we just don't have the manpower in the support realm to triage and respond to each and every post. I do really wish we had more employees to help here but that's not possible at this time.

The patch went out at midnight last night. I did stay up and updated the KB documentation, but I had to get some sleep soon thereafter and could not respond on individual threads at that time. Sorry for the delayed info and response. By updating, you will be clear of this bug.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 2
Explorer ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin:

I hear what you're saying and I appreciate all the effort.  I was hoping for a general notification to the forum and this thread. I kept checking the creative cloud app for an update and seeing none (I didn't know about having to check the gear icon as typically updates just appear in the app).  Then there was Brad Smith this morning who's not staff announcing a patch.  I'm asking myself, how does he know and I don't?  I felt like an airline passenger sweating in coach while the plane sits on the tarmac, and there no information.   That's what motivated me to speak out (albeit somewhat harshly). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi leebergtally,

Product management has now responded in the form of a blog post. This contains the necessary feedback that I need to provide to the community and will do so ASAP.

Premiere Pro 11.1.1 update | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Again, I apologize for the delay in disseminating this information to the community. I now have everything I need to go forth and spread the word.

It is a different issue that the Creative Cloud application did not alert you to the update. Let me look into that for you and see if I can find out what's going on there. Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention.

Regards,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds a lot like the issue I have been trying to figure out. I have been working for 2 years on a major feature documentary. We had 14.5TB of footage with no issues. Last week I added 400GB of new footage the way I always do (copy media from external hard drive to the 24TB Promise Pegasus RAID. After the transfer was complete, I opened up the premiere project and 8,162 files were missing. I went looking for them to reconnect (maybe they were accidentally moved somehow???). 10 TB of data was missing. And it was very randomly selected. And it most definitely was not all over 90 days old, but the more I read of this thread the more it sounds like the automatic cache clearing happened to me. What I can't understand for the life of me is...

1. Why did actual media get deleted in addition to cache files?

2. Why was it so randomized?

3. Where did it go? Why didn't it go into a trash bin or some other retrievable area first?

4. Why was I not notified by the system that this was occuring or about to occur?

5. How does 10 terabytes of data disappear instantly? It should have taken hours to move or delete this information, right?

i have backups of the media, but not some of the documents. This is a MAJOR issue for the workflow of this film, and I am now concerned it will happen again to this project or others. I'm pissed off that this glitch has occurred. I called adobe and they refused to accept the possibility that Premiere caused the purge. The company that makes the RAID has no idea how it could have occurred, and Apple is obviously no help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me, and for the life of me couldn't figure out what happened.

3TB of actual media... vanished instantly. Has anyone been able to recover this or is it truly gone?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a demo/free trial from Data Rescue 4 and detail-scanned my hard drive. It took a while but It was able to find a bunch of the files. I hope that helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2017 1
New Here ,
May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me twice on 2 seperate drives. In both cases, I was able to recover everything. The recovery software treated the files like they were deleted. As long as nothing new is written to the drive, deleted files should be completely recoverable.

I was lucky in that I was able to catch it. I fear for larger post houses who might write to the drive before realizing what happened. Those people are surely screwed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally the same problem here. Absolutely outrageous and a disgrace on the behalf of Adobe. Only saving grace is I have backed everything up multiple times but it has relentlessly ERASED CAMERA ORIGINAL. Unbelievable.

Disgrace is too light a word.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... by the way, Adobe should be sued for this.

Any lawyer wants to start a class action, I am IN.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- and finally, the level of this is STAGGERING. That a software program could go into a folder structure that I created, a sub folder structure within that which I created as well and DELETE ALL ORIGINAL FOOTAGE (but keep all the folders, now empty) defies belief.

The program I worked on shot all around the country over 18 months and 25 different episodes. Post Production has been going on for 6 months.

Adobe creates a software program that seeks and destroys all the camera original (and sound original ). Terabytes and terabytes and terabytes of precious footage it randomly decides to ERASE.

Beyond belief.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also in for lawsuit.  I lost over 7TB.  Lost a major project that I did not have a chance to back up.  Customer service didn't care. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2017 2
Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact the PrPro support directly ... I received emails from both Adobe Editing Manager (and now PrPro head, replacing Al Mooney in April or so) Patrick Palmer and also one from the business support or something offices wanting to know of any damage I may have received and offering to assist.

Digital Video Apps (DVA) Product Support manager Kevin-Monahan​ or his helpers RameezKhan​ or kulpreet singh​ can direct you to such support.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil,

I did contact support and they were unconcerned or even tried to be helpful.  Here are a sample from the chat.  I will try reaching out to the people you listed instead and maybe I will have better results.  It was shameful how they just tried to blow me off. 

R: It has been fixed fixed with the latest update

Patrick Lewtschanyn: well thats great, but what about the irreplaceable media I lost?

R: I am really sorry that there is nothing we can do or we can recover anything

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2017 0
Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Chat" isn't even in the same area of the company. And besides that, if you didn't know to ask for the "Video Que" ... and who does without being told about it? ... you get a generalist and they often have little personal knowledge of the video apps let alone any awareness of special issues. So yea, there ... I wouldn't expect much.

Contact the above linked people ... you should get better service.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Neil.  You are absolutely correct.  Kevin introduced me already to the right people so I am getting much better and more expected service.  Thanks for your suggestion!

Cheers,

Patrick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2017 1
Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you're getting assistance.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2017 0